Terrible lower back ache that worsens when I lift a leg

Hi mummies, any of you experienced terrible lower back ache during your pregnancy? I’m now about 16 weeks and while my stomach is not very obvious yet, the baby is blocking my insides so I can’t even bend over forward to stretch my back if I need to. The back ache is a lot worse when I stand for too long (eg cooking) or after sleeping. It’s painful enough to wake me up to toss and turn at night. Anyone with any solutions or advice please? I don’t dare to apply topical painkiller gel as I am not sure if those are safe for pregnancy #advicepls Supposed to travel for a short trip a few days later, but the pain is so bad I’m thinking of cancelling the trip.

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Sounds like sciatica nerve pain which is fairly common during pregnancy due to the change in posture and weight distribution. I had it with my first pregnancy and going through it now with my second. Avoid overly long periods of standing/sitting/putting weight on either one of your legs. Strengthening/micro movement helps to manage the pain more than stretching e.g. pelvic tilt,lower trunk rotations, and gg on all fours for opposite arm and leg extensions. These gentle exercises also equip the body better as baby gets bigger and heavier as well as for delivery/recovery. Hang in there!

Read more
9mo ago

Thanks for the tips! Noted :)

I had this last week at week 15, went to A&E and gynae to check, all is good. Did IV drip & ate painkiller for 3 days, all Ok now. Please see a gynae if you experience pain so that they can check.

9mo ago

So go early if it is painful, don’t wait till next week!