DIY Confinement

Any mummies her did not engage confinement nanny and DIY your confinement? Is it manageable if it is just you and your husband? I am more keen to DIY confinement myself by ordering confinement food delivery and herbs, etc with 2 considerations -I don’t like the idea of a stranger staying in my house and taking care of my baby and also, to save some money which is about $3500 now. But I have many “advices” saying that I will regret, I will be very tired, my relationship with the husband will be strained, etc...

17 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You and husband have to be prepare both physically and mentally cos honestly it's gonna be exhausting. I had a period of post natal blues and it's not something any mum will ever want to go through. For us Malays, majority of us don't hire any confinement nanny so we depend or will ask for help from our mother/MIL to cook our confinement meals. Even if it's just for a few days, it'll be sufficient for us especially if your husband does not know how to cook. For me with no helper & a toddler, my mum will come over (not sleepover) for a few days to help bath my baby and at the same time I learn the techniques. Either she or my MIL will bring over some confinement foods. My husband will do all the housechores and he also learnt how to cook & cooked simple soup/dish for me. Then I engaged 3-5 days post natal massage. We saved a lot of money this way which can be use for baby's expenses. My kids are now grown up and I'm expecting again. We'll be doing everything by ourselves this time, now that the kids can help around with the housechores except the post natal massage of course. It is very exhausting w/o any help but do not be embarassed to ask for any. Remember, your mental health is also priority.

Read more
2y ago

off topic but could you please share the post natal massage contact? is it the traditional Jamu?