My newborn is drinking formula milk every 1-1.5hr. Should I be worried?

Hi mummies. My 3 week old baby keeps wanting milk every 1-1.5hr. Initially he drinks 60ml every 2-3hrs but we realised that he keeps wanting more milk every 1-1.5hr. So we decided to up his intake to 75ml. Even with the increase in formula milk, he still wants milk every 1.5hr. He still poops normally, no diarrhoea or vomiting. I am doing mix feeding, breast milk and formula. FYI, I’m using Dupro. Should I be worried? #firsttimemom #worried

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It's completely normal for newborns to drink milk frequently, as their tiny tummies can only hold small amounts at a time. The fact that your baby is still pooping normally and showing no signs of discomfort is a good sign. It's great that you're mix feeding with breast milk and formula to ensure your baby is getting the necessary nutrients. Since you have already increased the formula milk intake and your baby is still hungry every 1.5 hours, it might be worth consulting your pediatrician to rule out any underlying issues. They can provide guidance on whether the feeding pattern is typical for your baby's age and offer personalized advice based on your baby's needs. Remember, every baby is unique and may have different feeding patterns. Trust your instincts as a parent and seek professional advice when in doubt. #parenting #babycare https://invl.io/cll6she

Read more

My 3 week old is drinking 90-100ml every 2h and recently started feeling hungry in less than 2h intervals. PD said it is ok as long as he is not experiencing any discomfort nor vomiting but not to increase daily intake any further. I supposed it is also dependent on the weight of your baby.

Yes normal! Mine also kept drinking every 1-1.5 hours at that stage too. Was worried about overfeeding but our PD it’s ok as long as baby is still fine/ not vomiting :)

When you increase milk, should increase every 30ml. Can try 90ml. And also very normal for newborn to feed often! I also remember mine feeds every 1-5hr.

2d ago

15ml is ok,I personally find 30ml too big a jump, and like you said, may end up causing baby to throw up. In any case, for newborns, just feed if they want to drink more. They will self-regulate. Sometimes they could be experiencing a growth spurt.

it's ok. Take all the weight gain u can get, it will taper off eventually

💕

💕