Trouble swallowing pills

Hi mommies, i’m 12 weeks in and given bigger pills to take (calcium, fish oil, prenatal vits) but i have never dared to swallow pills bigger than a tiny flu pill. Is anyone facing the same or able to share how you’ve overcome this fear? Thank you :( #pleasehelp

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I usually place it at the end of my tongue (as back as possible near the throat), head tilt backwards, spam water. First few tries I will subconsciously still have it in my mouth, takes a few tries. Eventually you’ll get used to it. I used to prefer liquid over tablet (I’m 24 and still requesting for liquid medicine at GP that they judged me with their expressions 😂). Anyways thanks to the super big fish oil pills and sunflower lecithin (after birth), I now prefer tablet over liquid as it’s way more convenient.

Read more

I dont have issues with swallowing big pills but I notice ever since I'm pregnant, I will gag whenever I try to swallow the pills (esp big ones). For me, I'll drink water first to prepare myself before I swallow the pills with a mouthful of water. I find tilting my head back helps. worst case scenario, I bought a pill cutter which makes it a lot easier.. 😅

Read more

I used to be afraid of big pills too (since young), but think I have overcame it. Actually it’s not that bad. Try to swallow a mouthful of water first, followed by another mouthful with the pill (placed near end of throat) and you will realise it’s actually quite manageable 🙂

Same…I am always afraid of taking tablets, 90% of time I will gag. My personal trick is to take the pills with flavoured water for eg redoxon or manuka honey lemon water😅 then hold my breathe and must tilt my head back