OSCAR or NIPT?

Hello mommies! My husband and I are seeing a gynae from Mt Alvernia now and we’re 8 weeks pregnant. We’ve been asked to consider whether we want to do the OSCAR ($450 before GST) or NIPT test ($1.2K before GST). Can I ask: - Which test should I go for? I’m currently 28 years old and more inclined to go with OSCAR because of the lower cost. - Is it possible to have the test at KKH to leverage on their lower price for the test, but stick to our gynae at Mt Alvernia? My husband and I wanted a dedicated gynae which is why we went with private hospital but the gynae visits are proving to be really expensive, and even the price of the test is higher :( Thank you so much!

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I went for OSCAR which gave a false positive and then ended up doing NIPT as well. The anxiety caused from the false positive is not worth it at all (plus had to wait for 2 more weeks for NIPT results), would recommend NIPT if you feel that the tests are a must for you and if price is not a huge concern. As what some others have shared, if you would carry on with the pregnancy no matter the results, then skip the tests altogether. It's important to discuss and come to a joint decision with your husband. Hope this helps! :)

Read more