Pregnancy/Mums’ pet peeve: is this a normal occurrence or am I being overly sensitive?

A little rant here… I feel so irritated by people who don’t ever check in or show concern during my pregnancy but when baby is out, suddenly super enthusiastic and want to come and touch my baby / carry my baby and take photos etc. Like where were you during my pregnancy when I needed support and care? 😳 And now you want to act like you are so close to me and my baby? Speaking of some of my friends and also my mother-in-law. Not sure if I’m being overly sensitive cause of my heightened emotions. Anyone feel the same? How do you deal? I can only quietly feel upset at heart but I don’t know how to reject when these people want to come over to see me and baby now that I have given birth.. I feel so petty like I’m bearing a grudge against them for not being there for me through my pregnancy. #FTM #firstbaby #Rant

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I didn't know how tough pregnancy was until I went thru it myself. I certainly bcm more understanding and able to empathise now. Then, after a miscarriage, I rem avoiding anything related to pregnancy so as not to feel the pain or be reminded of my unborn baby. I feel like many times it's bcs other ppl are struggling with life too. The incident taught me to lower my expectations on ppl (family, friends). After 2 years trying, I'm pregnant again now. week5. Sending love and hugs to you, mummy. You are not alone. ❤️

Read more

For friends, I feel like if you haven’t been through pregnancy you may not know how tough it is. I felt bad not being there much for my friend when she was pregnant actually and only realized the support needed after being pregnant myself.. my other friend just gave birth and the people in my clique didn’t ask or meet up much during the pregnancy but they were enthu to meet her and baby after she gave birth too.. so I think we all don’t mean it 🥲

Read more

Hmm. I’m that kind who wish ppl don’t ask so much during my pregnancy unless they are also pregnant or have kids themselves and able to empathise with me. Usually my friends around me won’t be so enthu after I gave birth leh. For close friends yes, they want to see the baby and I’m ok with it. For my first pregnancy, only very closed friends and family members knew about my pregnancy. The rest only know after my baby is born haha

Read more
TapFluencer

You can just reply them saying that you’re busy taking care of baby and wanna spend time with your family only. Cause you’re still on maternity right? (I assume) then you need to rest. You need to learn to say no and tell them your honest feeling. I suppose you don’t really need those friends anyway haha then just reject them la. Anyway, handling a baby is tiring and energy consuming… where got time to entertain friends.

Read more

my single friends didn't understand what it's like to be pregnant or be a mum, and so to some extent they were less able to support, give advice or tips but they still helped where possible. I guess I was fortunate that the people around me were not like that. Those who didn't care still don't after baby came out (which is ok) and those who did still do.

Read more

I tink i might be abnormal but i prefer ppl not to disturb me after i give birth. I also dont feel i need any one’s concern during pregnancy. I dont like ppl taking photos of my LO and posting but some ppl just dont listen. So tbh, i rather they dun suddenly show concern. At wk 15 now but only really close people know i am preggy. Low profile!

Read more

My baby has yet to come out but i can already feel what youre talking about. Never ask about me or whatsoever then when baby come out confirm pretend like theyre the most enthusiastic, or even possessive (mil). Like theyre not there when i was suffering (despite knowing i was suffering) Lol. I feel like this is very very common.

Read more

Hi sis! Im also dealing with what u are feeling rn , whats more funny is my MIL not even proud to announce to her relatives side ppl that im pregnant she say aft i give birth then say … lol right and my MIL doesnt even help me much or ask anything during my pregnancy now despite that we live tgt

I feel the same way. Whenever there is family event, they will only want to see and be with baby. It makes me not want to attend these events so it gives me some peace of mind.

Are they jealous of your pregnancy or newborn ?🤔