When will gynae give you folic acid?

In my first meeting my gynae just asked me eat more vege and fruits. How early you are given folic acid? I thought it shd be consumed during early pregnancy as the baby will develop heart and brain for first 3 mths?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

You should be given folic acid from the very first visit! Should start taking once you’ve found out because baby’s developing rapidly in first trimester. Can get from polyclinic at a subsidised rate.

You HAVE to start eating folic acid right after you found out you’re pregnant as baby develops verrryy fast during the first mths. Especially their brain. Weird that the dr didnt give you any.

Folic Acid should be taken up till 12 weeks. Subsequently will be Obumin and thereafter entering third tri will be Obumin + Fish Oil

1y ago

Yeah folic acid are in small tablets. However, yes fish oil can be very big tablets 🤭 I also had iron tablet since first tri due to low blood.

i was prescribed folic acid at week 7 and asked to switch to multivit and DHA at week 13 which were also prescribed.

I was given at polyclinic and also first appt at KKH. U can also go polyclinic to ask for it haha

I have been taking folic acid since i was ttc. It can be bought at guardian / watsons.