I'm planning for travels with a 22mth old and am facing a dilemma on whether to let him sit in the bassinet or get a seat. Any advice?

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

How long is the flight? We usually book without a seat but will request to sit in a row with an empty seat at the check-in counter. They are usually very kind with parents so should not be a problem unless it's a full flight. If it's a long haul flight and you've booked a rented car to be picked up the airport, I would suggest to bring a car seat that complies to the airline requirement. I find that it's more convenient as the toddler can sleep without disruption as compared to having to remove the toddler from the bassinet each time there's turbulence.

Read more
8y ago

Try the get the first row with bassinet and request them to block a seat for you! They usually do that for us!

This is based on information for flying with Singapore Airlines. For children under the age of two, you need not purchase a seat. You can have the option of either requesting for a bassinet or traveling with him on your lap. The dimensions of the bassinets are 768 L x 298 W x 158 H (mm). Bassinets can support a maximum weight of 14kg. You can refer to this article for more information: http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Singapore_Air/infants.php

Read more

When will you be Travelling? If it's off peak you can try getting them to block the seat for you. They did that for us. If it's peak period then depending on length of flight and whether you're ok with holding baby the entire time you need to decide if you want to spend the money. We went on holiday with our 7mo and our 21 mo. The 7mo could barely fit let alone the 21 mo :) so bassinet would not be much help except to hold your stuff

Read more
8y ago

Oh gosh even at 7mo! It's to Sydney so it's a 7hr flight, we decided to get him a seat in the end although it's off peak coz we didn't wanna risk not getting a seat. And my hubby is not ok with my lo being on his lap the whole time. Haha.

22 months is too big for bassinet unless ur child is small build. if u are travelling on budget and the fare is really cheap, buy a seat for him/her. I ever flew to phuket before and a seat cost me less than the infant price. So i got a seat for her. Bear in mind that the kid may not sit for long even u purchase a seat for them. if you are doing long haul and dont mind purchasing a seat. It will be comfortable for all

Read more
8y ago

Thanks for the tip. After reading up some more and seeing some of the other comments, I've decided to just get a seat. For SIA, it's 10% of adult fare whether or not the child is on the seat or lap so might as well get the seat!

baby too big for bassinet.. if the traveling time is long I will say to buy a child seat ,cos it no job to carry the whole flight.. if travelling time is short sitting on lap is not an issue..

8y ago

Thanks for the advice! First time traveling with a kid and my lo is only 9mo now and on the smaller side so we thought maybe there's a chance he can fit into the bassinet. Decided to get him a seat after all.

I travelled with my daughter when she was 12 months previously and they were alr reluctant to let her use the bassinet. Honestly the child would prefer to have a seat by themselves too.

8y ago

Which airline was this? Strange though coz bassinets are for use for kids <2yo and your girl is only halfway there.

Too big for bassinet. Are you ready to have him or her on your Lap the entire time? If no, then buy a child seat