Low milk supply at 6 months

Hi I'm a FTM, currently im pumping only 100-150ml a pump, 3 times a day as my work is quite busy. would like to know if i should consider increasing milk supply at this stage or not? I have quite an issue with clogged ducts and have to go for massages regularly. I'm afraid if i increase my supply I'll have clogged ducts more often. Would like to hear your thoughts and advise! Thank you!

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply

It depends on whether you have a “target” duration on how long you wanna pump till? Whether baby is mixed feeding? Will it be more convenient for you to pump lesser due to your work? (Like now) It’s also gonna be harder and takes longer time since you’ve signaled your body that you only need this amount of milk by pumping thrice a day. Unless I’m insistent to feed baby till eg 1 year of solely bm, else i don’t find the need to increase anymore at 6mo. While milk should still be their primary food, if baby is good with mixed feeding and solids then I would just continue (solid fm bm mixed). Increasing supply doesn’t necessary means more clogged ducts, clogged ducts occurs if you did not remove the milk well, the foods you eat might be too sweet/oily/spicy that clogs the milk.

Read more