Is it normal to feel breathless easily

I'm about 9 weeks in my first pregnancy and I find that going for walks these days is difficult. I often feel breathless after a while and its worse after eating. Is this normal?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Breathlessness often occurs in early pregnancy due to elevated hormone levels as well as the need for more oxygen. Even though your baby isn’t big enough to be putting pressure on your lungs, you may find it less easy to breathe, or you may be more aware that you need to take a deep breath. This is due to changes to the respiratory system as well as hormone production during pregnancy. The surplus of the hormone progesterone during the first trimester has an effect on your breathing. More progesterone is produced in order to help build and sustain the uterine lining. Progesterone also increases the amount of air you inhale and exhale while breathing normally. During the first weeks of pregnancy you’re also adjusting to sharing your oxygen and blood with your baby. This is another factor that can cause shortness of breath. Feelings of breathlessness may be intensified if you have a heart or lung condition. Isn’t it wonderful that you are breathing for 2 or more now😉 Stay positive, a happy mana, a healthy baby. Listen to your body, slow down and get plenty of rest. Take as many breaks as you need. Do whatever that help you to feel better. Take good care and God bless you and baby!

Read more

Yes normal :) I felt short of breath very easily especially after speaking a relatively long sentence from as early as 6-7 weeks, which never happened before. I found myself inhaling deeply more frequently between sentences during my conversations too (and still do now at 14 weeks!) Hormones are causing it + + the bloating contributes too + you’re now sharing your oxygen supply with your growing baby - demand has doubled! It’s normal unless you’re overtly significantly breathless or have any other respiratory symptoms.

Read more

Oh Mummy, it’ll get worse when your tummy is bigger so I suggest eat smaller meals frequently in a day rather than 3 big meals. I did the latter and I could barely talk let alone walk. It’s so suffocating and uncomfortable. And it’s actually pretty normal to feel shortness of breath and more frequent breathing like what Sarah Syukri mentioned. You just need to sloooooooow down your daily routine. 9 weeks is nothing. Wait till you get to 20++ weeks and above. 😅

Read more

it can get worst after eating because digestion slows down so that baby can be fed too. i did feel breathless around week 11 and found out that i was low in haemoglobin. subsequently put on iron pills. might want to address it to ur gynae.

I think if what you meant is like shortness of breath or more frequent breathing, it is normal. If you are literally breathless and gasping for air, please check it with your gynae asap.

Could be cause by bloatedness. It’ll get worse in the 3rd trimester especially when you’re nearing your due date . You’ll literally feel breathless just by taking a short walk.

Yes it is normal to feel breathless easily

Hi mummy, suggest to monitor and ask gynae