If the need to work is not related to financial gain; is there really a good enough reason as to why I should go out and work and leave the parenting to someone else?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Personally, I feel that being a mother does not mean that one cease to be “a person”. It is only fair for any lady to still have the option to pursue her aspirations and derive satisfaction from other aspects of her life (and not simply from motherhood). Everyone is different and some may want to continue working (regardless of what reason it is for). With some planning and discussion with the partner, I do think that it is possible to juggle both work and family adequately. What matters most is that every member in the family is happy. The worst case scenario that played out in my mind was that a mother is unhappy at home and ending up resenting the child for being the reason keeping her from becoming successful at work. This, might just be worst than having the mother around “parenting” the child. Just my two cents!

Read more

For some women, being a mother is amazing but it's not enough. Maybe she wants a sense of independence, freedom and a sense of self -- and for some, having a job helps with attaining that. I asked my mom who was and is still a full time working mother my whole life and she said she did it because she did not want to entirely depend on my dad financially. She married young and she never had the chance to do certain things because my grandpa was so strict. So by working, she got the much needed freedom and sense of independence she never had. In fact, my father encouraged her to go for career and she did. Me and my siblings grew up just fine under the care of my late grandma and later, by being latch key kids. Our relationship with my parents was and is still great.

Read more

All women make choices that are unique to their situation and family. Although having a career does not necessarily guarantee happiness, but there is some truth to the fact that we all wear many hats in life - wife, mother, daughter, sister, employee, employer etc. Our life is often fulfilled by the many roles that we play. Motherhood is possibly one of the greatest roles, but at the same time, we are also mother than being a mother. IF a woman chooses a career and family - she can be happy too. There's no one track that suits all. Similarly, a woman who chooses to look after her children and not work can be happy too. It's most important that your choice makes YOU and YOUR FAMILY happiest. :)

Read more