If I have diabetes, should I switch to brown rice?

18 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

The only kinds of rice that diabetics should eat are brown rice and wild rice. Both of these are whole-grain rice that contain wheat germ and bran. White rice has had these removed, making it much like white flour. Of course, portion control is also important to keeping your blood sugar level where it should be. Every 1 cup of cooked rice is the equivalent of two carbohydrate choices on the diabetic meal plan. Each carbohydrate choice will cause a moderate rise in blood sugar, and brown rice is no exception. The added whole grains and dietary fiber will slow the process, however, causing a more gradual increase in blood sugar. Diabetics who use insulin should account for each serving of brown rice, measuring insulin accordingly.

Read more

My whole family takes ponni rice, which is lower in GI compared to white rice and is more recommended to diabetes patients as a white rice substitute. Might still want to consult a dietitian on this. Diabetic patients should cut down on carbohydrates, or at the very least, choose low GI foods over high GI. This will help reduce the fluctuation of blood sugar after meals/snacks.

Read more

People with diabetes should avoid rice altogether and even though it is brown rice, you must consult your doctor before having it. You can, however, go for quinoa and couscous, which are better alternatives for people with high sugar levels. Read more about the health benefits of quinoa in this article :) http://www.healthline.com/health/why-is-quinoa-good-for-diabetes

Read more

My dad recently found out that he has mild diabetes and has since given up white rice. I can see that it's difficult for him because he loves rice and knowing that he is eating the dishes without a side of rice is pretty sad. I have recommended that he try couscous or quinoa as replacements for rice and while he did enjoy them, it is still not the same as rice.

Read more

Try cutting out carbs altogether. It's very difficult at first, but once you make it through the 1st month, it gets a lot easier. I had gestational diabetes and am terrified of needles, so the thought on injecting insulin was terrifying. Cutting out carbo was the only way to go, so I did that. Just so I don't need to jab myself. It's definitely doable.

Read more

Ideally it is better to eat brown rice than white rice. Brown rice has low glycemic index, so it won't cause your blood sugar increase rapidly compared with white rice. However, brown rice is still from grain family which contributes carbohydrate, so plan your meal carefully even if you are taking brown rice instead of white rice.

Read more

Yes that's a good first step. But most carbohydrates can be very dangerous for diabetics and cause spikes in blood sugar. It is advisable to increase your protein intake and have at least 2 cups of non-starchy vegetables for your meals. Why not consult a dietician and get a complete meal plan?

I just went to the doctor. Found out that white rice and brown rice have the same sugar content just that brown rice have more fibre as compared to white rice. Dr suggest to reduce intake or replace to low carb diet to be more effective.

yes i can say brown rice will be better. and also u got to cut down those fruit have high natural sugar lever. like honeydew all that. maybe check with ur doc think they will have better advice and a list of food to cut down

Yes you should. But better to visit dietrician to help with planning and know what you need :) You can also choose grains that is low glycemic index like basmati rice, or the low-gi rice by kangaroo brand.