Baby’s heartbeat

Hi I went for a scan at 5 weeks 6 days and doc said it’s too small to hear a heartbeat, scheduled to go back at 8 weeks 1 day..(am currently 6 weeks 2 days). However, am experiencing symptoms such as headaches and stomach cramps (moderate) and no bleeding... Usually when can a heartbeat be detected? And at how many weeks if there is no heartbeat, it is confirmed a loss..?

33 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

5 weeks is considered very early stage. My first scan was at 5 weeks too and could only see a blinking in the ultrasound. I saw the proper heartbeat in week 7's ultrasound. Don't worry much about the stomach cramps if it's temporary. I too experienced some pain until week 15. My pain was lower abdomen (around pelvic area) and it goes off within less than a minute. Doctor said it's fine and normal. But if in your case you experience the pain for longer duration and very often then better to visit the doc at the earliest

Read more

I went for a scan at 7 weeks. End up did 1 ultrasound and 1 detail ultrasound. And reports shows that there is a 4 weeks plus old sac. Yet to develop. So doc give me folic and ask me come back in 3 weeks. So after 3 weeks I went for a scan at my tummy. Can’t see anything. So doc said let’s try the virginal scan. My tears burst out when I see the shape of my baby. 1 full figure. So just relax. Don’t stress. But the time you start to vomit (like me) you will know :)

Read more
4y ago

I started vomiting from week 8 - 12 and it was terrible. Just remember to eat something light and drink lots of water.

5weeks is too early to see a heartbeat. 6 weeks you may see the heart flickering but you won’t get to hear it yet, you can but it’s quite unsafe for the baby because they’ll need to use a higher frequency to detect the sound. At 8 weeks they’ll usually let you hear the heartbeat. If at 8 weeks they don’t have a heartbeat, they’ll ask you to come back in 2 weeks time to see if there’s progress. If there isn’t, then they’ll ask you to decide whether to wait it out, take a pill or go for d&c.

Read more

My first visit was ard week 6+ / 7 based on my calculations. Base on doctor is week 6. I could see the flickering which is the heart beat. Since then I keep feeling slight pain. Doctor says it’s ok. Cos no bleeding. Usually I sleep off to feel better. Recently week 13. The pain become pulling type. Which I thinking is the stretching of the uterus. So mayb you are same as me. More sensitive towards the growing of uterus. So can feel the pain. Only this week then I start feeling headaches.

Read more

I got my scan around 8 weeks. Can detect baby heart beats, also can see tiny heart pumping fast during ultrasound. Also experience mild to moderate lower abdominal cramp/pain, no bleeding. Just need to get enough rest and stay hydrated if possible. Doctor told me to go emergency if bleeding occur. Don’t worry, everything will be fine.

Read more

Scanned at 6w2d and no heartbeat too. Doc was puzzled why so. However, heartbeat was observed 10 days from then but size fits the 6 week’s instead of 7 week’s. We are now waiting for a rescan ten days later, hoping that the baby is just slow and can meet the expected size of its age. 🤞

Oh yes, headaches and slight cramping are normal during the first trimester. Light cramping can be due to your uterus stretching. But if you are experiencing severe cramping, it’s better to see your gynae.

6 weeks 4 days. no heartbeat detected din po sakin. and now 8 weeks nako di pako nagpa transV ulit. sa second trimester na daw sabi ni Mama para sure. sana meron na. pero ramdam kunaman po si baby 😊🙏

5 weeks is still early, I scanned at 4 weeks and went back twice ltr then got to hear baby.. Can’t remember how many weeks though but should be at 8-9 weeks

I went for intra vaginal scan at 4 weeks and detected only a yolk sac. I only heard my baby’s heartbeat via ultrasound when I was 8 weeks pregnant .