3 recurrent miscarriages

Hi all, I was scheduled to do an IUI in march however I got pregnant naturally. I am currently pregnant 7 weeks. Yesterday I had spotting and immediately went to the O & G Centre as I had 2 recurrent miscarriages before this. The doc tried to scan me at the tummy but he couldnt not locate the baby. My heart sank as the 2nd miscarriage was like this as well. Anyways he did a transvaginal scan and finally after having a hard time, he found the baby hidding somewhere. There was no fetal pole. My HCG results came back very low for a 7 weeks pregnancy and will have to come back again this friday for another blood test. Right now, I have no hopes and am ready to acceot that this pregnancy is not meant for me, for the 3rd time... Questions is, is IUI actually a great option for me if lets say this pregnancy doesnt stick? I heard IUI doesnt prevent recurrent miscarriage. I've wasted so much time and I dont wish to waste anymore :( Will doctors allow me to go straight to IVF? #pleasehelp #advicepls #pregnancy

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I’m really sorry that you’re going through this 😢 I’m praying hard for you 🙏🏻❤️ hopefully everything will turn out to be ok. I’ve had 2 early miscarriages myself due to chromosomal abnormalities. My husband and I did fertility check and everything came back great, only a minor problem: his sperm morphology rate was on the lower side (but not very concerning), Doctor said we could still conceive naturally, but after ttc for 1,5 years we decided to go for IUI. And we were very grateful that we successfully conceived on our 1st IUI. I’m 6 months pregnant now with a baby girl. Although it’s true that IUI doesn’t prevent recurrent miscarriage but I personally think it’s worth trying at least once before proceeding with IVF, as IUI is a much simpler process and it’s far cheaper than IVF. But it also depends on many factors of your fertility condition. I think in my case since there was no problem with me, only with my husband’s sperm, the process of washing his sperms helped to isolate high quality sperms which then were used for insemination (this is just my assumption, it also could have been just pure luck). If you haven’t already, I recommend you to do the fertility tests so you could get a better sense of which treatment would work best for you and your husband. I wish you all the best and i’m sending lots of love your way 💕

Read more
2y ago

agree, I did IUI first too since both me and my hub are fine.. just that I wasn't lucky even trying the 2nd time.. switched to ivf also no luck 😅 but still there are many successful rates and it definitely depends on body condition and patient decision..

hi there, sorry to hear what you've been going through.. hoping that things will turn out fine for you. In the case of recurrent miscarriages, I don't think IUI can solve this issue because its just insemination of washed sperms into the uterus while timing ovulation in hopes of achieving a pregnancy. Since you are capable of conceiving naturally prior, I don't think IUI is gonna do any help for this case. IVF on the other hand is retrieving your eggs and fertilising with the sperm in the lab and depending on situation, pre-genetic testing can be done on the embryos to see of there are any chromosomal abnormalities since most of the time why miscarriages occur is due to the chromosomal abnormalities of the embryo. I believe there can be some kinda test run to find out as well. I've been thru failed cycles of iui and ivf myself in the case of undiagnosed infertility but got pregnant naturally miraculously before starting my next ivf cycle. I think you can discuss and raise your concerns to your doctor for the next step and for professional advice. Meanwhile, please take care of yourself.. all hope is not lost and I hope everything goes well for you..

Read more
2y ago

Thank you. I'll speak to my doctor if I can get more tests done and see if they can give the right treatment for me. Thank you again.

sorry you have to go through tough miscarriages and it’s understandable that you’re even more worried now. it’s normal not to see fetal pole so soon though. not sure how IUI doesn’t prevent recurrent miscarriage as miscarriage could happen for a lot of reasons… womb environment, or even genetically incorrect fusing of chromosomes. you can choose IVF straight if you’d like, you can choose the treatment you want.

Read more
2y ago

She can only recommend but end of the day it’s patient’s choice. :)

i think you should focus on getting your body better and ready to support the pregnancy. perhaps try tcm. to prepare body. and lead a healthy active lifestyle. n take prenatal vitamins. then try again.