Just tested positive for GD at W28 but had no advice yet from TMC

I just tested positive for GD yesterday, the gynae said I can probably control my diet and don't have to take insulin, and that someone will call me to advise about the routine. No one's reached out yet, and I haven't been given anything to prick myself with. Are there any strict no no's to be aware of? Any harm still eating 1 snack a day if I cut down on carbs during meals? I just received a huge box of cookies and cupcakes and tau sar pia and ice cream, I'm hungry, it's the weekend, and all these snacks are going to go bad. #GestationalDiabetes #pregnancy #advicepls

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I have been diagnosed with GD in my last pregnancy. You won’t be given anything to prick with, you buy it yourself and prick before meal and 2hr after meal to record and monitor whether the meal will make ur blood glucose shoot above the recommended range. The big NOs are those food you receive - cookies, cupcakes, ice cream - the obvious sweet stuffs The not obvious kind are: carbo, cornflakes, sauces (ie teriyaki sauce), pau. If you are unsure whether the food is safe or not, prick your self, eat the food & measure . If it exceed the range, means the food is not good. You can still have yummy food: western food (without the sauce), fish & chip (I skip the batter) but I eat abit of fries, pasta , there’s so many things to eat.

Read more

I had GD on my prev pregnancy was advised on fatal foetus and complications, asked to go on Insulin but I refused as I knew it came from my morning sickness phase where I could only drink gassy drinks and keep taking sweets to ease it down. So at 28w on I cut down on desserts and sweet treats for the good sake of myself and baby cos it's just weeks to delivery. Do go slow on ur sugar and salt diet for meantime. Eat small many x to manage the hunger pangs. Safe delivery for u soon! I'm managing bouts of MS now at w11. 🤗

Read more

Thanks all for your advice! As an update TMC called, they want me to go for a full day 8h course $300+, but we are very lean at work and I cannot take any leave until Jan so any advice is very helpful. I've bought self tester kits and will exercise more and switch to complex carbs; my readings so far today had been under 7 so I think it's hopeful I can wing this myself with no help from the hospital. Any other advice is much appreciated in the meantime! 🥰

Read more

U need to stay away from simple sugar stuff. Hope u did not take any u have received. Maybe one mouth is ok 😂 Make sure ur blood sugar remains Low and within range that ur gynae suggested. If u had the same food but had a higher readings, feedback to ur gynae and he/she will prescribe u meds to control. Try to stay within range if possible, for the sake of baby! Jiayou mommy!

Read more
VIP Member

i also had GD. once in a while i still treat myself good food... For GD best to eat 3 main meals and 3 snacks. to regulate sugar... all small meals You can buy your test kits to test your sugar level... even kkh also took awhile to contact me. i only went for the GD briefing 2 weeks after my diagnosis.

Read more
VIP Member

you can only take one per day. if u rly wanna eat. coz they are high in sugar. will shoot up.

had you called your doctor yet to check if they had forgotten about you?