Mom guilt - sick baby vs work

I just started my new job and the job has been flexible. The initial first 2 weeks are return to office fully to get to know the colleagues, subsequently is return 3 days a week to office, and i get to start early end early too as long i got my work done. However, my 16 months old son recently fell sick and has been coughing, he usually goes to infant care. So yesterday i have to leave early from work at like 2pm to pick him up from school. I feel guilty both side at work and as a mom, and feel so conflicted. But my baby is definitely my priority no matter what. I’m always the one that fly back home whenever there’s any thing yet my husband can take it easy which I’m upset as well. I just needed his support these 2 weeks. Feeling lost and just want to rant and also understand how i am feeling. ): #firsttimemom

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Same! I started my new job not long after i gave birth and baby fell sick after attending infant care. I will always be the one who took leaves to care for my baby as my work is more flexible compared to my husband. But as the time goes he seemed to take it for granted that i will always be the primary caregiver to our baby. My baby was sick every month so imagine the last min leaves i have been taking so one day i cannot take it, i told my husband upfront that he should share the burden and I don’t want to be the one who always take leave as i want to perform at work too. And to me, he seemed surprised that his behaviour made me felt that way, he did not realise that he has been acting that way so he responded by taking some leaves after I feedback to him :) But also mummy tend to feel more stressful when our baby is sick cos we have so much to take care! Share your feelings openly with your husband so that he can understand you, don’t expect them to guess or you assume they should know as well. Good luck 😉

Read more

Was having similar mum guilt and have now switched toddler to another childcare Seems less virus bugs and only sick once a month compared to fortnightly prev Take turns on leave with hubby and my mum also helps, so that less absence from work i guess Plan to have more kids so switched to lighter role in same company for a year minimally, more accommodating to take urgent leave, long maternity plus accumulated leave etc Hope this helps!

Read more
TapFluencer

🤗😘💕🙏