I noticed my breast is bigger, painful and swelling on one side. What should I do? I tried expressing the milk but there seems to be no milk already but i still feel very painful. The bigger breast has more milk supply compared to the other one.

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I could be wrong, but it sounds like engorgement, to a point where your milk won't come out. It might be uncomfortable but nursing frequently, with no more than 2 to 3 hours between feedings, helps. You can also try manually expressing the milk while in a warm shower. To soothe the discomfort, you can soothe the pain and help relieve swelling by applying cold packs to your breasts for about ten minutes before or after nursing.

Read more
8y ago

I'm on my confinement now thus not showering. Won't cold water/ice pack reduce the milk supply? I tried expressing manual and using the pump after using a warm towel over the breast. But it's still swelling and painful, especially the nipple and the side of it.

Sounds like engorgement. You can try Sunflower Lecithin, available from iherb.com.. pump on a schedule. Like 3hourly and really stick to it. Message and fully empty each breasts and check for hard milk lumps. Ice pack doesn't reduce supply, it only temporary numbs the pain. Wear loose fitting nursing bra or none. If all else fails see a nursing consultant. Good luck.

Read more

If breast is painful and hard means engorgement. Apply cold cabbage to your breasts, massage and try pumping again. Massage and pump regularly, 3-4hours to prevent engorgement. If one breast is bigger than the other after breastfeeding, You have to feed/pump the smaller breast longer/more often to try to even out the size.

Read more

It's sound like engorgement,mentioned by yuna,mummy it's best to shower although confinement for hygiene purposes as you are breastfeeding baby ,shower with hot herbal 大风草 water which you can purchase at Chinese herb store,try to massage your breast everytime before expressing milk to prevent engorge and hinder milk

Read more

Apply warm pack to reduce the swelling and comb breast downwards to "loosen" the milk supply. Can also try letichin tablet (buy from Guardian) to thin the milk so can come out easier. It's soya based natural, so don't need to worry about chemical hurting your body.