I know screen time is bad in general for kids. But what is maximum time they should spend on screen time daily?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

With regard to whether looking at the screen will cause damage to your child’s eyes, this article suggests that the blue light emitted from devices may be harmful to children. Adults are less susceptible as the lens in adults’ eyes gets yellow with time and could block out some of the blue light. In young children, however, their eyes are still developing and blue light is able to penetrate much more efficiently and directly into the retina and may cause damage to the back of the eye. If you allow your child to handle electronic devices, remember to factor in break times and remind your child to use the device at appropriate distance (i.e. not holding it too close to their faces), also remind your child to blink (to minimize dry eyes). Experts recommend taking a break every 20mins and looking to objects in a distance to help reduce strain on the eyes. For more information: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/arts/your-childs-phone-and-tablet-could-be-harming-their-eyes-expert-warns/news-story/c91174a8dcd55d0e70f0836144a403c5

Read more
VIP Member

yup...same here...as I'm working and my mum helps to look after both my boys...sometimes she just let them watch TV so that she can do housework. I cant blame her on that or stop her...so I just set limit the most 20 to 30min then rest their eyes. And told her to let them watch only certain shows which they like..the rest of the days they will play or do other activities instead.

Read more
VIP Member

I try to restrict to within an hour if possible. And also try to delay them starting onipad/tv