I have took some unknown Chinese medicine. What is ideal safe timeline to let him latch again?

1 Reply
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hmm.. From what I’ve read, I think you can consider following the guideline stated in this article (which is based on the ingestion of medication): http://www.itmonline.org/arts/breast.htm It was mentioned in the article that the level of drug/herb would change according to the blood concentration. Typically, the concentration increases and peak at about 45-90mins after ingestion, and would peak in the breast milk about 15mins later. Therefore, it is probably good to wait at least 2 to 3 hours before breastfeeding. That being said, the amount of herbs consumed may affect the concentration level as well. I think it would be best to consult a TCM practitioner on this (especially since you are unsure what herbs you have taken, it may be good to identify the type of herb in case there is a potential effect on the baby). Do take a look at the article as it highlights some Chinese herbs that should be avoided, or used minimally. Examples include: coptis and phellodendron (berberine alkaloids), sophora root (contains oxymatrine), ma-huang (contains ephedrine), and evodia (contains rutecarpine). Hope this helps!

Read more