Gestational diabetes

I just got a call from KKH. I am having GD. This is my 4th pregnancy and I never had GD before.Im at my 26 week now. I'm lost and I don't know what to eat right now. I'll be meeting the nurse and dietician only next week. The nurse over the phone told me food that I should avoid for now, but my mind is totally blank. I feel so depressed with the news . #advicepls

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I was diagnosed with GD at 24 weeks, this my first pregnancy and my love for sweets, the first week upon knowing the news was pretty devastating and depressing. I’m at 26 weeks now, it’s more or less under control. I prick everyday to find out what works. Here’s some stuff that worked, 1) weigh your food , don’t over eat (i.e. carbs 50-100g, potato chips 15g, 100ml orange juice), 2) eat every 2 hours, 3) drink a lot of water - I found water is the key, it fills my hunger, allow me to stay hydrated and dilute my blood. I drink at least 1 litre after every bigger meal, 4) 10 mins walk after every meal. Hope this helps you in finding a system that works for you! Good luck.

Read more
2y ago

can't deny my love for sweets as well. but ever since I got the call from the nurse, I have totally cut off all sweet stuffs. drinking only plain water. the nurse told me that I have to prick twice a week for 7x a day which will start next week. I have already start writing down what I eat for the day and. slowly trying to adjust on the food that I can eat and can't.

Pls don’t worry about it. GD is too common among pregnant ladies, including myself too. I didn’t had diabetes before pregnant. But when I found out about it from my gynae, I was advised not to eat too much sweet stuffs (doesn’t need to be fully strict if you have some cravings). And try to use the device to monitor the sugar levels daily. Nothing to feel depress about it. Just carry on with what you usually do but consume lesser sugary food & beverages will do. Take lesser white rice and opt for brown rice if you can. Take care, we did it so can you too.

Read more

Hi its okay, I'm also diagnosed gdm and I'm now in week 37 of my pregnancy! it's not your fault or anything,it's just hormones at play. Here are some suggestions which worked for me: 1. Breakfast is the easiest to spike, so keep it well paired with protein and fats (e.g. sandwich/crackers with egg and avocado is the best!) 2. Limit your portion of carbs for each meal. make sure u eat vegetables and protein before starting on carbs 3. Fried stuff and sauce items typically are high carbs, so try to reduce them! you can do it! don't worry:)

Read more

hi! don't worry its okay! for me I can't have white rice as it spikes my sugar levels easily. so most meals I just have vege/ meat dishes pairing w a low GI bread or whole meal breads. For breakfast my constant safe food is greek yoghurt with nuts. having GD is mostly finding out what ur safe foods are. in general u might wanna avoid white rice, white flour, berries(strawberries spiked my sugar so bad) and try to choose foods that are low GI in general!

Read more
VIP Member

Was in your shoes.. Am currently 29wks3days along. Just make sure you cut down on anything sugary incl Milo , fried food, fast food. Others are fine, take your carbs in moderation.. & most importantly go for a 30mins walk after every meal. Snacks between meals, for example biscuits or hv a cup of Low fat milk. The main culprit in my diet was my pregnancy milk. I stopped taking it & replaced it with unsweetened soy or Low fat milk instead. Hope this helps!!

Read more
2y ago

Similac mum. We can only go for Low fat & unsweetened soy drinks.. be careful with those juices, 3-in-1 Milo, coffee & teas as they are all sugar added. Mine was borderline, failed by 0.2 but a narrow fail is still a fail.

Avoid sweet, sugary, oily, fried stuffs. I still drink Milo but make it plain, no sugar no milk, 3 tsp enough. Pregnancy milk I cut down to 2 scoops only instead of 4. Only take fruits that are hard such as guava, red or green ones, pear, apple. Keep track of what you eat or drink so you'll know what to avoid.

Read more

I was diagnosed with GD at week 28. Everybody has different triggers for high blood glucose though. Some people can handle continue eating carbs and some can’t. The best is to get the glucose test kits and religiously test your blood sugar level to identify what triggers high blood sugar levels :)