Can I get pregnant even if my period has not come back and I am still breastfeeding? I am 4 months post partum. Thanks

17 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

" While it is possible for a nursing mom to become pregnant while she is breastfeeding and before she has her first menstrual period, it is rare. Most moms do not get pregnant until after their first period (often referred to as the “warning period”). Even after that, while some can become pregnant the first cycle, others will require months of cycles before pregnancy can occur. Still others (this is quite uncommon) may not be able to become pregnant until complete weaning has occurred." (kellymom.com) There is a contraceptive method called lactation ammenorhea method or LAM and for it to be effective, your baby needs to be less than 6 months old, you need to be breastfeeding at least every 4 hours in the day and every 6 hours in the evening, and your menses has not returned yet. While this is 98% effective if you fulfil the above criteria, I would still suggest you talk to your practitioner for contraceptive options such as IUD and Depo- provera. For everything else, there is always Okamoto Ultra Thin! :-D But seriously, if you are not planning to get pregnant yet, you might want to consider the not so natural form of contraceptives. Every woman's body is different so you might ovulate before your menses or you will have your menses and not ovulate yet. There is no telling. Hope this helps.

Read more