First appointment at 20 weeks

Hi! I found out I was pregnant over the weekend (currently at 11 weeks) and my first visit to NUH is only at my 20th weeks as that’s their earliest appointment. Should I be worried that I have no first trimester scans/check up? Or should I just wait accordingly? I’m going through the subsidised route.

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

you actually need atleast 1 OBGYN appointment during your 1st trimester (best after the 8th week), it is actually the most crucial time. they will check your blood and do the vaginal ultrasound to check on your fetus, uterus and your estimated due date. i also found out i was anaemic and had a vaginal infection during the check. was given the necessary medicines and vitamins for the pregnancy. 20th week is the time for you to do the anomaly scan already (check baby organs, gender, etc) .. you might want to call them for an earlier slot if its possible. good luck!

Read more
2y ago

yes, agree with this comment.. you can try calling the hospital to check if got any one drop out so you can have their slot..

Not sure how NUH does it but I had my first appt at KKH and found out I’m week 12 already And they had to squeeze me in the earliest next detailed scan a few days later so that I’ll be in time for my first trimester scan which is for Down syndrome and all. If not you have to do other test. I think that’s the only time critical thing. If it’s me, I’ll probably go for a one time private clinic to be safe.

Read more

I had the same issue so I went for my dating scan at Raffles and then took the reports to NUH after 12 weeks. They would also recommend you to get a down syndrome test done by the 12-17th week. so please please get atleast 2 appointments(Dating scan and also the downs syndrome test) done elsewhere. God bless.. Wish you a healthy pregnancy:)

Read more

I was actually planning to go nuh (pte route) last year but when i found out i was preggy i was alr around week 9 i tink. But the earliest apptment i could get was after the first trimester which they subsequently told me to do my scan n test outside first. Eventually i cancelled my apptment wif nuh and c my pte gynae

Read more

Try to go polyclinic and consider referral to KKH? I went polyclinic on 22 Apr, got my first appt with KKH for 28 Apr. Still a subsidised route too. Though I'm likely to change to private in 2nd trimester, see how it goes first.

i find subsidised route appts abit too long in some cases. if financial isn’t an issue & you’re concerned, you might wanna try a one-time appt at private clinics for advices or maybe tests.

TapFluencer

Maybe try going private. Before 20 week supposed to do blood test and Down syndrome test. I’m week 13 and just done those test. Week 20 is detailed scan alr.

call hotline and inform that 20 weeks is too late, request for earlier appt. there are vital first trimester checks that you should take,

2y ago

Yes, I tried calling NUH. Staff told me that she could not advice whether it is okay to miss my first trimester checks. And she shared that if I am worried, I can take my checks elsewhere and bring them along on my appointment date. They said there’s nothing they could do as appointments are all based on availability. Else, I can keep trying to call in to them to see if anyone cancel their appointment to see if I can have an earlier slot. Thank you though. Good to know that there are vital checks and I should not wait till my 20th week.