Down Syndrome screening

I am currently at week 8 of my pregnancy and need to decide whether want to do Down Syndrome screening during the next gynae appt. I am 30 years old. Understand that below 35 consider low risk, and some mummies will not opt for the screening. Still not sure whether I want to do it? If yes, should I go for Oscar or other more precise and expensive one? Need some advices from those who have gone through this stage. #1stimemom #advicepls #pregnancy

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I’d recommend going straight for Panorama if your finances permits. It’s more expensive than OSCAR but offers much higher accuracy, plus you get to know the baby’s gender with almost 100% accuracy as early as week 10! Some moms who opted for OSCAR ended up going for Panorama eventually as the OSCAR results were not ideal - eventually the Panorama results were all clear and they were put through the emotional stress for nothing and you can’t put a price on that!

Read more
3y ago

Yes I did!

I'm 33 years old this year. Hubby and I agree to do OSCAR for an assurance throughout the pregnancy, and we though 33 years old, doing OSCAR should be good enough. But 1 week after the OSCAR test, I had my scariest and most miserable 8 days in my life. We were told that the OSCAR test isn't a good result as I am a High Risk. Therefore, I did the Paronama test and waited for 8 days and glad that the Paronama came back with Low Risk result.

Read more
3y ago

Thanks for your sharing..High risk should be >35.. Anyway, the most important thing is healthy pregnancy and healthy baby 😊 doesn't matter to spend extra

Personally i went for nipt straight because it has higher accuracy. Both husband and i wasnt keen to do oscar because of the low accuracy. As the difference between the basic n comprehensive test for nipt was about 300$ diff, husband decided to do the comprehensive one. Btw i took igene and am with private gynae :)

Read more

Did NIPT as hub and I just wanted a test with the highest accuracy. We were not ready to deal with doubts as we had decided not to keep baby if there's any major problem. We're in our early 30s btw. Luckily all was well and got to know baby's gender early too at 12th wk (did test at 10 wks).

Super Mum

If you want to make a decision based on the test result. Go for a screening & please choose NIPT which is of higher accuracy. If the result does not change any decision, don’t need to do the test.

3y ago

Agree! NIPT definitely has higher accuracy but it doesn’t pick up structural issues of the baby, would suggest to also opt for OSCAR scan to check fetal nuchal translucency thickness at week 11-13. Detailed scan at week 20 will also measure fetal nuchal translucency thickness but based on my experience, it’s always better to detect early.

My second gynae did not force me to do screening for Down Syndrome. But my first did ask to do iGene. End of, i did not any screening 😅