I am worry about my 5 months old baby has not poo for 4 days. Should I take her to see doctor?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

As what Idza mentioned, it is not uncommon for babies to not have any bowel movements for a few days. As long as the infant's stools are soft, he/she is not constipated. Signs to watch out are when: - breastfed babies did not have any bowel movements for more than three days; five days for formula-fed babies - Stools are hard and pebbly, or much thicker than peanut butter - Stools are thin, watery (could be diarrhea) - Stool is red or black (could indicate bleeding) - Stool is white (could indicate that baby is not properly absorbing nutrients) If you observe any of these signs, it is best to bring your baby to the doctor.

Read more

Babies older than 3 months who are fully breastfed may go for up to 10 or 14 days without pooping. They grow rapidly and digest practically everything they consume. This can continue until the baby is introduced to solid baby food. However, this might not apply for formula-fed babies, who should continue pooping more or less every day. I reckon it's safer to seek a doctor's advice especially if your baby seems uncomfortable or in pain. Your baby could be constipated because of milk allergies, If he or she is, the doctor will advise you to change formula or the type of food he or she is eating (if baby has started on solids).

Read more

Since baby is still young and not able to take fiber diet from fruits and vegetables, you may feed your little one with GAIA probiotics drops to ease the constipation. You can purchase it from Guardian or Waston. Remember to store in fridge after every use. Also, you can try to do baby massage to ease the constipation. Example of baby massage can be found in youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWFg0ODAQvE

Read more
Post reply image

thanks