2nd hand smoking

My husband, father & oldest brother out of 3 siblings ( me included) are smoking, my hubby doesn't smoke around me much knowing i'm pregnant due wanting to keep our baby healthy but my dad & oldest brother keep smoking in the house & it's hard to avoid inhaling the smoke even though i try my best to cover my nose as a second hand smoker when my brother decides to sit in the living room & smoke because i sleep there as i have no bedroom of my own.. so is it safe for me & baby to be in this kind of environment? what can i do to avoid inhaling smoke from cigarettes?#advicepls #firstpregnancy

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi, I was a smoker myself but baby hated the smell of it so I quit immediately (before I even found out I was pregnant, just suddenly feeling very sick whenever I tried to smoke) and this pretty much forced everyone (bil,mil and husband) to stop smoking/vaping in the house as well. Initially my bil will still go to the kitchen and smoke but whenever I have to visit the restroom, I’ll still smell it so I got my husband to tell my bil to either go out(far away from the flat) or don’t smoke at all. Now 7.5m pp, my house is smoke free thanks to my baby 😅 And no, it is not safe regardless of pregnant or not. We won’t realize this until we are the ones that don’t smoke. I think you have to be firm and ask them if they are gonna be responsible for it should anything happen to you or baby due to the second hand smoke. (This is what my husband asked my mil cause initially she was quite stubborn, still smoking infront of me but trying to ‘blow’ the other direction which did not help at all.) Unfortunately, if your family members don’t cooperate at all, there is no way to avoid inhaling unless you don’t breathe at all lol! This is a very good time to make them quit together 💪🏻 Otherwise when they smoke, you leave the house, get your hubby to spam the air refreshner WHILE they smoke to counter them. 😅

Read more