How did you split prenatal expenses with your husband?

My husband earns about double of my salary so our joint account is also contributed 1:2. Wondering for prenatal expenses like prenatal exercises or even prenatal massage, do you share these expenses with your husband or husband pays all or you settle by yourself? Cos this seems different from the prenatal checkups as it is for the mummy alone so wondering :) #firsttimemom

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

In a similar situation as your case with the salary differences. I didn't really expect or asked my husband to pay for my prenatal expenses and postpartum expenses unless I really had no means to pay on my own. My husband is supportive to pay for the expenses that I didn't asked for help as he thinks that it's also his responsibility as a husband and father to our baby to contribute to the expenses. But it can get stressful at times when he is paying more than myself as I can't really afford the bill on my own comfort. So I didn't take those luxury stuffs like massages and confinement nanny as the cost is too much for husband to pay alone and I can't really afford + see the need to My take is use something like the 1:2 ratio if both your husband and yourself are not that calculative to the cents. If you really feel bad for making him pay, can offer to return by covering for future expenses like baby and household expenses when baby is born. Don't get too stressed during pregnancy and postpartum over who should pay unless it's the case of husband want to have kids but you don't really want.

Read more

I nvr go for prenatal exercises etc and have yet to get a prenatal massage. But if I do get a massage I'll pay myself as it'll likely be a one off thing just like before pregnancy. And similarly to other adhoc expenses like my maternity clothes etc buy if I go shopping with him, he'll offer to pay. But for post pregnancy massages and confinement expense we'll pay frm our joint acct. We don't really have a black and white line as to who pay what as both are working tho and just like u my hubby is earning more than twice as me so whatever I can foot myself, I will. Most of the time my hubby will auto foot the bill, except of cz hospitalisation bill tt I wld like to pay half as tt's the biggest expense since we're gg to take a pte hosp 1 bedder.

Read more

No i didnt. Theres this once we visit the hospital for check up and i pay and it doenst feel good and right so after that i didnt offer or insist anymore. We didnt go for exercise, or massage, doula or what not but just the prenatal check up and giving birth expenses only but for shopping, like baby stuff, clothes, and small items I do pay “sometimes” . Let your husband be a gentlement and responsible for the big expenses in my opinion. Ill pay for small items though like our lunch “sometimes” 😉 but very minimum, he always insist He will settle it and will say “i got this”

Read more

In my case, my hubby happily offers to pay for all the basics. In my mind I also feel that it's right that he pays for at least the basic prenatal expenses like the regular checkups and medication... This way, he will inevidently care about the entire pregnancy and process, and my wellbeing (and he will accompany me to the checkups and be involved). If I want anything extra, or for luxury purpose I will offer to pay for it, let's say, if I want private ward etc. But at least for the basic stuff, unless he has monetary issues, I feel that husband should pay for most of it.

Read more

we didnt plan who to pay what. but all prenatal checkups and hosp bill he paid while bb clothes and misc items I paid. post preg massages and confinement meal he paid deposit I paid the balance although he offered to pay full but I felt I should share the cost so I insisted. i didnt go for pre preg massages nor exercise

Read more

For prenatal checkups, my husband pays all. But ive never went to exercise or massage, if im planning too, my husband would offer to pay. However, i prefer to pay for my own as he already pay hunderds on the checkups

My husband pays for all my prenatal medical expenses and purchases for baby items. He surprised me with prenatal massages package as well, after I complained that my back hurts.

thankfully doctor visits are covered by my company insurance - for everything else we split 50/50. prenatal classes/massages I paid myself... also, I earn more than him haha

My spouse volunteered to pay for all pregnancy related expenses. Except for the baby clothes because there are so many cute ones. I keep buying more 😄

We split all costs in half by default since we earn about the same salary. But he'll offer to pay for stuff sometimes:)