How do you wean your toddler off their pacifiers?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I've came across this article that offers a "three-day approach" (towards the end of the article), which I thought is interesting. http://www.parents.com/toddlers-preschoolers/development/behavioral/bye-bye-binky-ending-the-pacifier-habit/ It involves informing your child that he/she will be saying goodbye to his/her pacifier in three days time. Repeat the same talk over the three days and act on it on the third day (via a game-like approach). Having the three-day timeline could prepare your child for the change and make it easier for him/her to accept it. You can also try a more gradual approach (also mentioned in the same article), which is to slowly limit the use of his/her pacifier. You can try to first remove it during naptime, then extending to bedtime. Regardless which approach you try, there will be protests and crying. Do be mentally prepared for it because you have to be firm in order for your child to accept the change. Good luck!

Read more

I did it gradually. First, limiting it to afternoon naps only and only at home. Except when we're on long travels then we will bring it even outside to soothe him just in case. We're also setting a goal that by 4 years, he will be totally weaned off. Maybe by that time, we're going to do a ritual like burying it or throwing it to the bin together and say that we're giving it the baby mice and then we can celebrate together with a cake or something. I consider it a milestone :-)

Read more

Initially child care centre played a part because they don't give him pacifier during nap time and at home we also try not to let him see or mention it. Then my mil itchy give him back pacifier at night one day. Ended up he got 'hooked' back on pacifier and I got irritated and told hubby off. And he took a scissors and snip off the pacifier infront of him. He got stunned and wailed but after that he never asked for it anymore. :x

Read more

sch wean off for me during daytime. soon he doesnt need it for night. but he switch to touching buttons for security. i just let him be lah...coz he is not picky with a particular romper/shirt. just 1 top with button he is okie

I lost the pacifier... and refused to buy new one. Give other form of comfort, such as a soft toy to hug to sleep, etc.

I always distract them when they wana have it, slowly they don't remember and they don't need it.