How can I teach my child to eat faster?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

why do you want him to eat faster. just as food is a comfort for you the same way your presence when he's eating is a comfort for him. he's enjoying the attention he gets. ya...it's understandable that there are other works too that u need to complete. but forcing a child to eat faster is creating a habit where later on in life he will literally sniff down his food without proper chewing and won't know when to understand tht his body is saying he is full. that leads to obesity and the rest you know....so instead, of fast eating serve only enough portion of food which he feels is ok enough to finish. sometimes seeing the amount of food can also scare a kid bcoz he reasons that he has to eat it all up. serve small meals in small plates. he will slowly develop the habit of eating faster to the pace that he can adjust to.

Read more

Hi, You can just set up a timer. Give your child 30 minutes to eat, after 30 minutes take his plate away and he has nothing else to eat after that if he hasn't finished. It worked with my kid who was a slow eater :)

It depends what is slowly him in eating. Distraction or he is fully chewing his food? If it's the later, I believe it's OK unless they take one hour to finish their meals