How do I make homemade breastfeeding lactation cookies?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I have a friend who tried making this Chocolate Almond No Bake Lactation Cookies from Small+Friendly (http://www.smallfriendly.com/small-friendly/2014/05/chocolate-almond-no-bake-lactation-cookies.html) and fell in love with it. Not too sure if it is effective but it is nutritious and very easy to make. She experimented with both butter and coconut oil and preferred the coconut oil version. [taken from the website] Ingredients - 2 1/2 cups rolled oats - 1/2 cup crushed raw almonds (sliced almonds crushed in your hand work well) - 1/2 cup ground flax seed - 4-6 tablespoons brewer's yeast *(don't skip this: it's super great for milk supply and a mood booster!) - 1 teaspoon cinnamon - 1 cup sugar - 1 stick (1/2 cup) of butter/coconut oil - 1/2 cup of milk - 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder - 1/2 cup almond butter (peanut butter works as well) - 1 tablespoon vanilla extract Directions - Line two baking sheets with parchment, wax paper, or silpats*. - In a large bowl combine oats, almonds, flax, yeast, and cinnamon. - In a sauce pan combine sugar, butter, milk and cocoa. Bring to a rolling boil and cook for 2 minutes. - Remove pan from heat and add almond butter and vanilla. - Pour chocolate mixture into oat mixture and stir until well combined. - Spoon your cookies onto the baking sheets and allow to cool. - Store cookies in the fridge and snack at will. (Note: these also freeze beautifully)

Read more

I am using this recipe. Can make quite a big batch! Once they are baked they are soft cookies like those from subway! Ingredient - 2 Tablespoon Flax Seed Mill - 1/4 Cup water - 3/4 Cup white sugar - 1/2 Cup brown sugar - 3 eggs - 2 Teaspoon vanilla extract - 2 Cup flour - 1/4 Cup brewer's yeast - 1 Teaspoon baking soda - 1/2 Teaspoon salt - 3 Cup Rolled oats - 2 Cup M&M's or Chocolate chip Direction 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees 2. Mix flax seed mill and water and set aside 3. Cream together butter, white sugar and brown sugar. 4. Add vanilla extract and eggs. Mix. 5. Mix in the flax seed mill. 6. Add brewer's yeast, flower, salt and baking soda. 7. Stir in oats and M&M's/Chocolate chip 8. Place spoonfuls of dough onto baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes.

Read more

If you like peanut butter (like me) then you can give the recipe below a try. It contains everything a lactating mommy could ever need: protein from peanut butter and coconut flour, iron from brewer’s yeast and oatmeal, as well as a nice serving of healthy fats. http://healthfulmama.com/2012/08/peanut-butter-lactation-cookies-gluten-free-dairy-free-vegan/

Read more