How do you convince your toddlers to drink their meds especially if it's an antibiotic? My child doesn't take it even if I mix it with other drinks.

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I feel you! Had a hard time making my kids drink their medicines when they were little. I used a dropper instead of the normal medicine measure cups included in the boxes. It's easier. Trust me also. distracting your baby is an answer. Make him laugh or give him toys to play and as soon as your toddler gets immersed in the trap, take advantage and immediately put the dropper into his mouth. It will be too late for him to realize it.

Read more

I saw a similar question asked on this forum a few days ago that might be able to assist you. In any case, one way you can get your kid to take the medicine is to create a reward system. Explain to them why they need to take the medicine, and the benefits of taking it. Also, you can entice them by rewarding them with something for taking the medicine!

Read more

In our case, unfortunately, the reward system didn't work. We had to really force him to open his mouth and hold his limbs. After about 2 days, he came up to me and said, "Mama, I'll do it myself." Indeed, he's been the one taking his own medicine whenever needed. I suppose it was so traumatic for him and I feel so sorry to see him in that situation.

Read more

Try "giving" it to your child's favorite stuffed toy and showing that drinking the medicine makes the toy become "better" while explaining that medicine makes your child and the toy feel better.