My gyna asked me not to gain weight/eat since 12 weeks pregnant.

Help! Hi Mummies. I'm currently in 21 weeks pregnancy, having my 3rd baby. I'm a plus size, in my early 40s and my first 2 children were born above 3 kg and healthy. I had GDM for my previous 2 pregnancies but cleared after delivery. Every checkup with my gynae, she will always remind me not to gain weight. Being pregnant, I will gain weight eventho I did walking, eating healthy, etc... I'm a SAHM with no helper and will walk to send and fetch my older children to their pr schools to and from home as well as other home activities/errands. Sometimes, my gynae will say don't eat and give advices like drinking all no sugar, which I followed. No fruits coz fruits have sugar but can drink coffee black, which I didn't take coz I believe coffee black is high in caffeine as compared to teas. So far, for every ultrasound checkup, my baby is doing well and healthy, just my weight. I will be taking the glucose test next week, similar to my previous pregnancies. When I ask what other exercise is safe and effective for loosing weight at pregnancy, I was advised to do just walking, which is my daily routine. Sometimes, I feel a bit sad, coz all the food that we eat contains a certain amount of sugar. If I can't snack on fruits when I have hunger pangs, I don't know what to eat. I cook for my family but sometimes feel sad remembering "no food" or "cannot gain weight". I've always thought if there is no weight gain, it's not a good sign for baby and mummy? I'm so confused and stressed at times. Any advice, please? Sorry for the lengthy post. Just need to pour it out đŸ˜©

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hello mommy, think your gynae is trying to make miracle - for you to not have GD in this pregnancy compared to previous. I feel as long as you have cravings, just eat what you crave because that’s what the baby needs. Did they mention your baby is overweight or what? My gynae on the other hand told me it’s normal to have sweet urine during pregnancy, no diet constraints. I am the one who told myself to control my diet, don’t eat junk food until I pass my glucose test lol

Read more
7mo ago

Hi Mummies. Thank you so much for your advice and words of encouragement. My glucose test will be held this coming Tuesday and my gynae is a private senior gynae which also delivered my 2nd child. I suppose I can have some cheat days, hehe. Sometimes too hungry and don't know what can be eaten. I've also drank water, thanks to the humid weather,too. For my past two pregnancies, I failed the glucose test but GDM cleared after delivery. So far, my gynae said baby is bigger than the standard age, which goes the same for my previous 2 children. They were all born above 3kg and healthy. Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate it. Much love ❀