Any one has kids with developmental delays? Do they catch up and outgrow eventually ?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi how delayed is it? All babies have different pace in their milestones. I walked when I was 10mo but my bro not walked when he was 16mo. I will think it won't be cause for worry if it is only a few months delayed but you may want to highlight to your PD in his next development check or when you get the chance to see PD again. They may recommend you to see a therapist. For eg I know of a mom whose baby cannot crawl at 9 plus months. Actually I don't think this is very delayed or worrying but she asked the PD who recommended a therapist to them. The therapist analyzed for them that they placed baby inside exersaucer too early and that's why baby keep straightening legs and refuse to crawl. My point is they will eventually catch up but if you really want to hasten it and know what's wrong you can bring them to see a therapist. But for some cases like if baby is two years old and not talking yet I will worry and bring her to a speech therapist. So it really depends on case by case

Read more

The only real concern is the global development delay which is a "sickness" in itself and it need early identification and intervention and such kids will be v v difficult to ever catch up because they are special needs. Other than that some babies are just faster in some areas and slower in others but all of them will somewhat catch up. Keep the long term view in perspective, most of the primary 1 kids are all about the same already in most aspects - with some slightly better in certain areas but generally not much diff

Read more

Some do and some don't, it really depends on the extent/severity and importantly the cause of the delay. A relative's child is diagnosed with global developmental delay due to a physiological brain abnormality. She never caught up. The important thing is early diagnosis and therapy.

Mine is a typical slow developer. 19mo. Still not walking. I feel. Sg pace is too fast. During childhood. Let them be slow. As when they grow up, eventually they will catch up. If u r reali concern over their IQ *touch wood*. Send for detailed check up then.

Mine... my 2yo is actually behind the development stage for some but eventually and slowly got meet... so i think okay for me as long as growing and got improve.. I am only with slow as each kid has their own pace..

I have heard that some babies do not crawl. They glide using their bums instead. Not too sure why though. Most importantly is her other development doing well.