Anyone experienced this?

My girl is 6 years old and of late, she has a habit of touching herself when she’s bored (privately). Googled and found out this means she’s masturbating though all the informations I read say it’s normal so long it is not causing her any pain and not doing it openly, this is merely their way of exploring herself and parents shouldn’t stop/ punish her for it. However, I still feel this is wrong and she shouldn’t continue with this. Anyone has the same experience with your girl?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I learned child psychology and this is normal. However, if you suspected your child has seen something sexual prior to this activity, you have to stop her. Otherwise, she is just exploring. Do talk to her about safe touch. Means, who can touch her private areas and who cannot. Do share with her that, private parts are not meant to be touched unnecessarily. Use the term vagina and penis in case you need to explain. Do not use flower or bees or other words to talk about her vagina. Good luck :)

Read more
4y ago

Thanks!! Since young I have been educating her as per mentioned so that’s not an issue. It’s just the self exploration part that I’m unsure. I have been trying to keep her occupied so she won’t touch herself then I won’t have to decide if I should stop or let her continue.

Explain to her about her private parts and what is safe touch. Don’t kick a fuss about it and we are after all asians who are told not to touch ourselves at all. That is also wrong. What I feel should be done is to slowly educate her and teach her not to do it openly and in public. I feel beat is to slowly talk to her.

Read more

This is not okay. Divert her attention to something useful / suitable for her age. Don't leave her alone

4y ago

I have been keeping her occupied these days and so far I did not see her doing it.

Or tell her to wait till she is 16-18 years old

VIP Member

6 years old is quite young to start that

VIP Member

Nope. Maybe talk to her privately?

4y ago

I did. She will say ok she will stop but she will do it again. I’m not sure if I shld trust what I read online and take it that it’s normal and let her be or shld I stop her.