Is it true that it hurts on the first hour for GA?

GA or epidural for c section. I was encouraged to go for epidural cause Dr says after waking from GA, the first hour would be very painful. Is it true?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I opt for epidural but that was intended for natural birth. Then had to be wheeled in for emergency c-sect and epidural wasn’t fully administered so when they started cutting me open at one point I could feel stabbing pains. So they put me on GA. When I woke up, was super drowsy and high. Then it subsided. Can’t remember when the pain started coming back but definitely not so much pain from the wound but pain from the uterus contracting back to its normal size. So you’ll still feel contractions after you give birth. For me the c-sect pain wasn’t felt that much because my tummy was super numb. And I had morphine by my side so whenever I felt pain, I just pressed on it. Do make sure you don’t drink cold water because blood clotting after c-sect is very common and watch out for infections on your wound. You won’t feel anything on the outside but you’ll feel some soreness from the inside when you start moving and walking.

Read more

Hi mummy. I went through GA exactly 8 weeks ago. Some level of pain is inevitable but it wasn’t extremely painful till it’s unbearable. Once you wake up, the OT nurses would probably ask about your pain level and administer the appropriate dose of pain killer for you. Don’t worry!