Maternity Leave

First Baby. Would like to seek advice on when I should start my maternity leave? #advicepls Is it too late for me to start at Week 37 + 4?

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

38wks for me...although my mum and gynae told me to work till I give birth. Its really a personal decision and everyone's physical+mental health, work place stress and dynamics are different. I was mentally stressed out at work and barely able to focus anymore as my workplace is very male dominated, has a hire & fire culture and is toxic/covertly unsupportive. I am so glad that I've listened to my own needs and take the ML earlier than advised. Really managed to relax and enjoy my last few weeks of pregnancy before baby's arrival.

Read more

Hi mommy, if you are fit and healthy, you can start when u deliver ur Bb. Listen to ur body as different pregnancies are different. ML are very precious but if u would like to have some days to pamper urself before u pop I don’t see any wrong in that choice coz aft this u will be in a different club. 😬

Read more

It depends on your condition… for me, I started after I gave birth as doc say my pregnancy is all good plus I wasn’t really feeling very tired in my last trimester… plus, my boss allowed me to work from home…

Depends on you actually. I started mine at 38 weeks cause I was having too much difficulties moving about. My pelvic area was hurting so much. I have friends who only started after they gave birth.

try to see if your obgyn can give you medical/hospitalisation leave for the last few weeks! I would start my ML from the day I pop too..very precious 🤗

there is the option of HL too if your gynae is willing to help you out. try asking your gynae. this way u can keep ur maternity for after baby comes.

Start your ML only when baby is out. If you’re tired and need rest before delivery, ask dr for HL instead. 🙂

Super Mum

The later the better. Some even take from date of delivery. Cause when baby is out, every day counts.

I only start my maternity leave after I gave birth. So that I can spend more time with baby.

i started my maternity after bb born. prior to it, I took HL due to my terrible back pain