#AskTheExpert session with Phyllis Choong, certified trainer from Confinement Angels

🌟 Exciting Announcement! Join me, Phyllis Choong, certified trainer from Confinement Angels, for a vital #AskTheExpert session on theAsianparent app! 🎉 📣 Topic: "How Should My Diet Be During Confinement?" 🗓️ Date: 3rd August 2023 , Thursday 🕒 Time: 8pm to 9pm 🌸 The postpartum period, known as Confinement, is a sacred time of recovery and rejuvenation for new mothers. It is essential to prioritize your physical and emotional well-being during this transformative phase. 💕 That's why I am thrilled to invite you to a session where we will delve into the significance of ‘Diet During Confinement’ and provide you with valuable insights and practical tips to nourish your body and support your recovery. Send your questions on a range of confinement topics, including: 1️⃣ Understanding the significance of a balanced diet 2️⃣ Essential nutrients for postpartum recovery and healing 3️⃣ Meal planning and recipe ideas for a nourishing confinement diet 4️⃣ Traditional practices and their benefits 🔔 Save the date and mark your calendars for this invaluable session. Warm regards, Phyllis Choong, Certified trainer from Confinement Angels

#AskTheExpert session with Phyllis Choong, certified trainer from Confinement Angels
30 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

We also have bigger kids at home, and it's challenging to manage their meals along with the postpartum diet. Are there any strategies for juggling everyone's food needs during this time?

9mo ago

If you are planning to have modern confinement, this is not a problem as all! Some parents are worry that confinement foods are too ‘heaty’ for their kids as tradisional practice of confinement foods are contains big amount of gingers and wines. Modern confinement foods are emphasis at balance of nutrition which is suitable to eat for all your family members including your bigger kids.

My sister has certain dietary preferences and restrictions. How can we tailor the postpartum diet to suit her needs while ensuring it meets the necessary nutritional requirements?

9mo ago

Hi as I cannot confirm what is your sister dietary preference so I share with you the confinement diet tips for diabetes mum. Dietary to follow for gestational diabetes: 1. Cut sugar 2. Low carbs intake & choose complex carbs 3. Eat more protein 4. Eat healthy fats like from olive oil, nuts, omega-3 5. Load up fibre aka vegetables 6. Food pairing i.e. eat a balanced diet comprise of vegetables, protein, fats and carbs during a meal. Never eat carbs on its own 7. Eat small frequent meals Confinement meal serving if you have Gestational Diabetes: 1. Practice less sugar cooking 2. Serve lean protein from fish, chicken, pork, tofu or egg for EACH meal 3. Use olive oil & black sesame oil only in our cooking 4. Serve vegetables for each meal 5. Serve each meal which is balanced with appropriate amount of fibre, protein & carbs

Can mothers who are breastfeeding (4mos onwards) follow the same postpartum diet, or are there any additional considerations for breastfeeding mothers?

9mo ago

For breastfeeding mothers It is advice that to eat a balanced diet of fruit, vegetables, grains, protein foods and diary each day. Example; protein foods 2-3 times per day such as meat, poultry, fish, eggs, dairy, beans, nuts and seeds. Eat three servings of vegetables, including dark green and yellow vegetables per day. Eat two servings of fruit per day. Include whole grains such as whole wheat breads, pasta, cereal and oatmeal in your daily diet.

Are there any foods or beverages that should be avoided during the confinement period, and what are the reasons behind these restrictions?

9mo ago

Firstly, less consume of cold drinks. Cold drinks are believed to have a “cooling” effect which slows down recovery and may lead to poorer health. You are advised to take hot drinks and many traditional practices recommend drinking hot teas as part of the confinement diet. Other than that, there are some ingredients need to be avoid too during confinement which included caffeine, spicy food, cold and raw foods. This one might be difficult for coffee lovers, although you may learned to limit your coffee intake during pregnancy. However, caffeine can get into your breast milk and irritate your baby’s digestive system as it is still weak. It can also elevate your heart rate and cause insomnia so it is recommended that you avoid coffee as much as possible while you are breastfeeding. It is even advised that you limit your chocolate intake as it contains caffeine. Eating spicy food can cause discomfort to your baby while breastfeeding, although the level of discomfort can vary between bab

What can be done if a mother has lactose intolerance during confinement? Is there any suitable alternatives to ensure proper nutrition?

9mo ago

A lactose-free meals at normal day are suitable to consume during postpartum period. The food preparer need to ensure the ingredients use are lactose-free or replace it with same nutrition ingredients etc replace fresh milk with soy bean milk.

I've heard about warming" and "cooling foods during confinement. How do I know which ones are suitable for me based on my body's needs?

9mo ago

As every body are unique, it is advice that to visit a TCM to check your body condition first. A TCM will advice the food ingredients/herbs to consume less or more based on your body condition. There are some confinement herbs provider in the market provide customise confinement herbs based on body condition which you can consider it.

How can family members, particularly husbands, actively participate in ensuring mother's diet is followed consistently and healthily?

9mo ago

You wife must very happy when she saw this! During confinement period, husband role is to accompany and comfort mummy’s mental health to release post partum stress. In confinement diet wise, husband can participate by ensure all food ingredients are fresh and well keeping, sufficient healthy snack are on stock for your craving wife, encourage your wife to drink more fluid and had nutrition meals to fast recover from postpartum. If you are a good cook, cook her favorites' dishes to surprise her!

With all the stress and anxiety after childbirth, it’s not always possible to follow a nutritional diet. How to cope with this?

9mo ago

A nutrition diet during postpartum is very important. However stress and anxiety may cause to no appetite on consuming food. In this situation, the one who make the preparation of confinement meal act as important role. He/she can put some effort on the food presentation to let mummy have appetite and feel delight when saw the meals. The food preparer can also prepare the food in more creative way to let mummy easy to consume.

I follow a vegetarian or vegan diet. What are some plant-based sources of nutrients that I can include in my postpartum diet??

9mo ago

Below are example of Five nutrition should include in confinement meal and how do we get Vegan food sources. 1. Protein: Nuts, seeds, beans, legumes, tofu, seitan, tempeh, quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth, whole grains, and soymilk. 2. Omega-3 fatty acids: Flax oil and ground flax seeds, chia seeds, walnuts, canola oil, soybean oil, algae foods fortified with DHA. 3. Iron: Fortified breakfast cereals, lentils, tofu, kidney beans, chickpeas, dark leafy greens, spinach, raisins, and fortified grains. 4. Calcium: Fortified plant-based milk alternatives, Tofu made with calcium sulfate, fortified breakfast cereals, dark leafy greens such as spinach and kale, chia seeds, pinto beans, broccoli, and figs. 5. Zinc: Fortified breakfast cereals, baked beans, pumpkin seeds, cashews, chickpeas, oatmeal, almonds, kidney beans, green peas.

Do you recommend TCM or herbal tonics during confinement, also are there any simple ways to determine what is safe or unsafe?

9mo ago

TCM or herbal tonics will brings benefits to most of the postpartum mum as long as the tonics are fit with their body needs. So it is advice that to consult the TCM physician during the pregnancy period to tailored customised the confinement herbal bundle for each individual mother-to-be as each bodies are unique. Most postpartum TCM are safe to consume but do not forget to mention if you had any allergic or G6PD to your TCM supplier when purchase TCM package.