24 Replies

What are some of the most frequent latch problems that breastfeeding parents encounter?

Hi Jessica! The most obvious and prevalent latch problem is that of a poor latch. Most breastfeeding issues stem from that, and with correct and prompt correction, it can preserve the breastfeeding experience, protects the milk supply and make the nursing relationship a positive one. Don't "wait" out a poor latch; seek help early!

What are the potential consequences of not addressing latch problems promptly?

Is there a certain age in a baby's development when latch problems are more common?

Hi Laura! Breastfeeding / latching issues are most common during newborn days, usually the first 2-4 weeks when both mother and baby are getting used to this new bonding activity! It does take a lot of practice to get it right for both. There may be certain phases of development when baby may tend to nurse more. This shall not be confused for having latching issues, especially if the mother does not observe the usual common signs of a poor latch, such as pain during breastfeeding, heavy breasts after nursing, clogged ducts etc. Hope this clarifies!

What are the best positions or holds that can assist in achieving a better latch?

Hi Alice! The "best" hold is one that works for you and your baby, and that can look very different for every mum and bub! If you have large breasts or just have had a C-section, football hold is the usual go-to. Another breastfeeding position to consider is the laid-back position! This is especially helpful for the early newborn days to get a full, deep latch. Hope this is useful for your consideration!

Please share tips for identifying signs of a poor latch and how to correct them.

Hi Laura! I see that you are keen to find out more about identifying a poor latch and how a mum can help to rectify the issue. Here are some of my suggestions: 1. Very obvious - is breastfeeding painful? If it is painful, one of the key culprits is usually a poor latch. This is usually accompanied by (see the next point) - 2. A fussy baby who seems to be hungry "all the time". A poor latch means the baby doesn't often get to the calorie-rich, fatty hindmilk that keeps them full. It is actually normal for newborns to drink frequently. However, if breastfeeding is painful and if the baby has been very fussy, nursing and falling asleep at the breasts very much, you may want to see a lactation consultant to assess the latch. 3. Is the baby suckling only the nipple and not taking the majority of the areola into the mouth? If you notice so during breastfeeding, you may want to break your baby's latch and re-latch again, observing for baby's chin resting on your breast, full round cheek

Are there any tutorial videos on YT that can assist in achieving a better latch?

Hi Jen! In this day and age, there are plenty of resources online that are able to give some pointers to help you achieve a better latch. Based on my work experience, and not because I want to toot my own horn, mothers get the best help when they see a lactation consultant (LC) for assistance because the advice is truly based on what the professional LC or IBCLC observes about your baby's latch. Every baby is different, and there may be deeper-lying issues that may affect the latch, such as tongue and lip ties. The LC will be able to provide a clearer advice after they assess a nursing session. This is something YT or tutorial videos may not be able to share with you. Hope this helps!

Can latching issues affect breastmilk supply? How does one impact the other?

Hi Jen! I see that you are trying to understand if latching issues may affect breastmilk supply. The straight answer is that they do! Poor, incorrect and shallow latch means your baby isn't effectively removing the milk from your breasts. If this is done so regularly, your body gets the signal that it actually does not need to produce so much milk since there's milk "left" in the breasts. This will lead to a drop in your milk production and supply. The correct latch is one of the fundamental keys to keep a positive breastfeeding relationship going! Hope the above explains!

How can an improper latch impact both the breastfeeding parent and the baby?

Hi Alice! I see you have concerns regarding latching. I shall attempt to answer both here. Improper latch affects the breastfeeding experience for both mum and bub. The first one is most obvious - incorrect latching often results in pain during breastfeeding from superficial nipple soreness to clogged ducts because milk isn't removed promptly or effectively. This may cause a lot of pain and discomfort for mums, and discouragement as well. Incorrect latching may also mean your baby isn't getting to all of the breastmilk he or she needs to grow and thrive. Long term, it may affect their weight gain. As the baby isn't effectively removing the milk from the breasts well, your body may be getting the signal that less milk is needed, and hence milk production may slow and supply drops. This again affects the mother's confidence in her ability to breastfeed. As you can see, the impact and consequences of an incorrect latch are far-reaching! A lot of breastfeeding issues can be easily a

What are the key benefits of achieving a proper latch during breastfeeding?

Hi Jessica, congratulations on your pregnancy! This is such an important question, and I am so glad you have asked this. 1. One of the key reasons why mums stop breastfeeding is pain. Achieving a proper latch actually leads to a more comfortable and relatively pain-free breastfeeding experience, which then motivates mothers to continue nursing their babies. 2. Achieving a proper latch, or the correct latch, also means your baby is getting to the breastmilk he or she needs for growth and development. The right latch allows your baby to draw in both foremilk (more watery to quench thirst) and hindmilk (which is more fatty to gain weight) and this is fantastic for them. 3. The right latch also ensures your baby is helping you to remove the milk from your breasts effectively and efficiently. Regular correct latching and nursing is an important signal to your body to create more milk and this will help to keep up your milk supply. Hope this answers your question!

How does nipple pain indicate a latch problem, and how to address this?

Hi Julia! Thank you for your question! Nipple pain is a common symptom of a poor latch or as you've mentioned, "a latch problem", as the right latch does not bring pain or sharp discomfort. However, when a IBCLC assesses the situation, she'd probably check on other potential symptoms as well, such as clogged ducts, heavy breasts even after nursing, baby's weight gains and wet diapers. The best way forward is to correct the latch early enough and this can be done by the aid of a lactation consultant! Alternatively, you can also try out other breastfeeding positions that promote a deeper latch such as laid-back or football hold to address the situation. All the best!

Trending Questions

Related Articles