Ask the Expert Series: How do genetic factors affect brain development?

Hello everyone! Excited to “see” you! I am Dr. Lee LJ, Chief Scientific Officer from Nutrigene. Together with the team at TAP, we would love to help as many of you on improving your baby's brain development. ------------------------------------ Have you ever thought how genes influence your child development? What kind of genetic disease or disorders can affect to your kids? What are the genetic testing available in Singapore? Here are some questions asked in our community, and we got the answers for you ✅ 👩: If my me and my hubby weren’t book smart, does that mean my child will be the same? Or can we teach him to be more curious and feel the need to want to learn more? What are the key guide recommendations you could give to start early to support brain development? FYI my child is 18 months! 👨‍⚕️:Nope, apart from genetics factors, there are still environmental factors that parents can actually cultivate the learning habit at the earlier stage! Parents and other caregivers can support healthy brain growth by speaking to, playing with, and caring for their child. Children learn best when parents take turns when talking and playing, and build on their child's skills and interests. 👩: Does autism count as a genetic disorder? 👨‍⚕️: Genetic factors are estimated to contribute 40 to 80 percent of autism spectrum disorder risk. The risk from gene variants combined with environmental risk factors, such as parental age, birth complications, and others that have not been identified, determine an individual's risk of developing this complex condition. Thus, autism is partially determined by genetics. 👩: Exactly how do genetic factors affect brain development in our kids? 😅 for example, if my hubby has ADHD does it mean my kids will have also? 👨‍⚕️: Genetics will influence the development and function of the brain, and ultimately control how we move, think, feel, and behave. Combined with the effects of our environment, changes in these genes can also determine whether we are at risk for a particular disease and if we are, the course it might follow. Cognitive abilities are substantially influenced by genes, with approximately half of the variance in general cognition attributed to genetic factors. Specific abilities, including attention, working memory and declarative memory are also heritable. Available evidence suggests that ADHD is genetic—passed down from parent to child. ADHD seems to run in at least some families. At least one-third of all fathers who had ADHD in their youth have children with the condition. What's more, the majority of identical twins share the ADHD trait.

Ask the Expert Series: How do genetic factors affect brain development?
23 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Expert answer: Genetics will influence the development and function of the brain, and ultimately control how we move, think, feel, and behave. Combined with the effects of our environment, changes in these genes can also determine whether we are at risk for a particular disease and if we are, the course it might follow. Cognitive abilities are substantially influenced by genes, with approximately half of the variance in general cognition attributed to genetic factors. Specific abilities, including attention, working memory and declarative memory are also heritable. Available evidence suggests that ADHD is genetic—passed down from parent to child. ADHD seems to run in at least some families. At least one-third of all fathers who had ADHD in their youth have children with the condition. What's more, the majority of identical twins share the ADHD trait.

Read more

Expert answer: Ultrasound can see the base of a baby's brain, known as the cerebellum. The shape of the cerebellum — the part of the brain that controls muscle coordination and balance — is important in the detection of neural tube defects. This image is usually taken during a standard ultrasound. It may be possible to identify a congenital brain defect as part of a prenatal screening. This can be done by using chorionic villus sampling (CVS) when you're between 10 to 12 weeks pregnant. CVS is used to identify various genetic conditions.

Read more

Expert answer: Both genetics and nutrition will contribute to child intelligence. Studies show that individual differences in human intelligence can largely (50%–80%) be explained by genetic influences making intelligence one of the most heritable traits. On the other hand, scientists also found that infants who ate healthy foods had higher IQ scores by age 8 than those who ate less healthy foods. Thus, both genetics and nutrition are equally important.

Read more

Expert Answer: Genetic and environmental factors work together to shape early brain development. Although the first stages of brain development are strongly affected by genetic factors, genes do not design the brain completely. There are also other external factors that cause slow brain development in children. Proper diagnosis is needed to further determine the root cause of this problem on a case-to-case basis.

Read more

Expert answer: Genetic factors are estimated to contribute 40 to 80 percent of autism spectrum disorder risk. The risk from gene variants combined with environmental risk factors, such as parental age, birth complications, and others that have not been identified, determine an individual's risk of developing this complex condition. Thus, autism is partially determined by genetics.

Read more
VIP Member

If my me and my hubby weren’t book smart, does that mean my child will be the same? Or can we teach him to be more curious and feel the need to want to learn more? What are the key guide recommendations you could give to start early to support brain development? FYI my child is 18 months!

Read more
1y ago

Nope, apart from genetics factors, there are still environmental factors that parents can actually cultivate the learning habit at the earlier stage! Parents and other caregivers can support healthy brain growth by speaking to, playing with, and caring for their child. Children learn best when parents take turns when talking and playing, and build on their child's skills and interests.

Exactly how do genetic factors affect brain development in our kids? 😅 for example, if my hubby has ADHD does it mean my kids will have also?

1y ago

Genetics will influence the development and function of the brain, and ultimately control how we move, think, feel, and behave. Combined with the effects of our environment, changes in these genes can also determine whether we are at risk for a particular disease and if we are, the course it might follow. Cognitive abilities are substantially influenced by genes, with approximately half of the variance in general cognition attributed to genetic factors. Specific abilities, including attention, working memory and declarative memory are also heritable. Available evidence suggests that ADHD is genetic—passed down from parent to child. ADHD seems to run in at least some families. At least one-third of all fathers who had ADHD in their youth have children with the condition. What's more, the majority of identical twins share the ADHD trait.

VIP Member

What are some of the important tests to check proper brain development in the foetus? Thank you!

1y ago

Ultrasound can see the base of a baby's brain, known as the cerebellum. The shape of the cerebellum — the part of the brain that controls muscle coordination and balance — is important in the detection of neural tube defects. This image is usually taken during a standard ultrasound. It may be possible to identify a congenital brain defect as part of a prenatal screening. This can be done by using chorionic villus sampling (CVS) when you're between 10 to 12 weeks pregnant. CVS is used to identify various genetic conditions.

If child shows slow development of brain, does that mean he has genetic disorder?

1y ago

Genetic and environmental factors work together to shape early brain development. Although the first stages of brain development are strongly affected by genetic factors, genes do not design the brain completely. There are also other external factors that cause slow brain development in children. Proper diagnosis is needed to further determine the root cause of this problem on a case-to-case basis.

Is Child's Intelligence Associated with Parent and Sibling Intelligence and Disorders?

1y ago

There is good evidence that there is a genetically determined component to intelligence but it is certainly not the only factor. Education, class, culture, diet and even the order of the birth compared to other siblings all have an effect on cognitive ability.