Does gripe water help relieve teething pain? Issit safe to use as it has sedative effect n sweet taste for baby reaching 6 mo? Use in morning or night and how much dosage?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Gripe water is a liquid supplement of sodium bicarbonate and herbs (e.g., fennel, ginger, chamomile, cardamom, licorice, cinnamon, clove, dill, lemon balm or peppermint) that is believed to help in soothing colic, teething pain, hiccups and flatulence. It is considered to be safe for baby as long as it does not contain alcohol or sucrose. It is still best to check with your doctor before giving it to your baby. Some tips on choosing and using gripe water: - choose gripe water that is made of organic (preferably) herbs - watch out for ingredients such as gluten, alcohol, dairy or parabens (gripe water containing these should be avoided) - avoid those containing vegetable carbon or charcoal (thes may result in blackened stool and constipation) - refrain from giving it to babies less than one month of age (their digestive system is not as developed) - watch for allergic reactions such as hives, itchiness, watery eyes, sweiing of lips or tongue, trouble swallowing or breathing, vomiting or diarrhea You can refer to this article for more information on gripe water: http://www.beingtheparent.com/giving-gripe-water-to-babies-is-it-safe/ Think you can follow the recommended dosage and feed by spoon.

Read more

have been giving my 11mth old boy gripe water every morning. doesnt have any side effect, but i doubt it helps with the teething pain. i let him chew on some teething toys to relieve the pain.