In-laws

Does anyone have issues with parents-in-law? My LO (currently 5 months old) is taken care by my MIL when me and hubby is at work. My MIL used to be a babysitter so she’s quite good at babies. However, she got her own set of pantangs and way of educating the child, which is very different from me. I don’t believe in pantangs at all. She doesn’t believe in what We say when we explain to her. For example, there was once baby did not poo for a week, she got so ganchiong and kept calling over the weekend telling us to try this try that. We already explained to her nicely that this is normal for BF babies but her mindset is stuck with need to poo Everyday blablabla. This is just one example. Another example is, she kept saying baby should start on solids now. Me and my husband’s take is to follow baby’s cues, we don’t have a definite to start solids at 4 months or 6 months. We did try a little puree but feel that baby is not yet ready for it. But MIL keep saying that should start alr. So irritating? Sometimes, this really irritates me and I want to send my baby to infant care instead. Is like, why must I explain what I’m doing to her and why she keep giving suggestions that I don’t want to hear. I have my own style in doing things and parenting. But my hubby refuses as infant care is expensive and he thinks it’ll be better for baby to be under grandma’s care. I do agree with him but I think it’s only for my sanity. ? Does anyone has similar experience?

126 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My problem is, everytime my baby sucks on his thumb they said he’s hungry and he’s 5 months now. Why can’t they let us do what we do even though they’ve went through years of taking care of their children? I mean, do have some respect. There are reasons why babies are to be fed when they only turned 6 month. Thank you though for taking care of our grandkids but still, the baby is ours to cater to. We have our own way of parenting. If their teachings makes sense, why not. Do not overstep. That’s whats important.

Read more
4y ago

Mine was opposite.. wife kept wanted to feed bb whenever bb cries, example, right after bath, sucking thumb, rubbing eyes, or cranky ,or slight wake up during naps. Haha. But my mother will say not every crying means milk, else baby will keep associating it with milk and grow fatter and fatter.

We're on the same boat. Esp when my in law keep insisting to feed my baby solid at 4 month old. Repeatedly told them i'll start feeding once he is able to sit up. FIL said my baby will go hungry if i dont feed him solid. Breastmilk is the optimal food for baby up to 6 months. Why can't they understand.. This is why i don't leave my son alone with my in laws. Either me or husband will always be with them when they want to play with my son. And we'll always bring our son with us where ever we go - in laws keep insisting to leave my son with them. BIG NO.

Read more
VIP Member

I'd suggest infant care too. If hubby disagrees, he should manage his mum's comments and suggestions without pulling you into it. You're doing what's best for your baby as a mum and you don't need the outdated, unsolicited advice. My MIL is very nice and does not do the same thing, but I know she has some 'concerns' that she communicates to my husband from time to time and my husband addresses them with her directly and kindly. No added stress for me, and husband can also take the chance to understand more about why I do what I do for the baby.

Read more

I sort of have an issue with my MIL. my child keeps crying and she always said to put milk cereal because he is hungry but my son is only 3 months at thay point of time. So i try testing out putting milk cereal but few days later, he had stomach ache and hard to poop. so i put a stop to it and continue with normal formula. and also I was surprised when she gave my nephew to drink tea in his milk bottle. but the both got asthma. Now when he go to school he dont want to drink milk, nor water. and she keeps blaming the school everytime he got sick.

Read more

It might not even be a MIL problem. My mum used to look after my daughter before she started childcare at 18mo. Every day my mum pass remarks and “advices” and nag nag nag. It became an extra burden or source of stress for me. I feel much happier after my daughter started going to childcare although it’s more physically tiring for me as nobody is giving me that unnecessary pressure and trying to change my parenting style. & now that I am expecting my second baby, my husband and I have planned and decided to send the baby to infant care.

Read more
3y ago

Me too, after sending my kid to ifc, I don't hv to deal with mil and maid issue anymore, though it's tiring physically but less stress

is ur hubby well grown up adult father now? hes been taken care of ur mil since born. even if u dun agree on certain things, still u shud mind ur words and actions towards ur our elders ya.. find a way to explain things though. use logical, critical and science technology thinking. show examples in comparison of the old n new in a well mannered way. anyways...pantangs?? better to follow but in different perspective thinking. think deeply why. we are all now well educated. but no manners. back then, all are lowly educated. but well mannered.

Read more

I totally understand how you feel. For me, Im worry about my bb when out to work and get MIL to take care which paid higher than the babysitter but take her job lighty. Plus, she will always say things to guilt trip me because i am out to work more than 12hours in a day. I wish I can take care my baby by myself while able to have financially freedom. Do you know how tough being a working mum? At least do not say hurtful things to a new mum and compare yourself with your era as a house wife back then. Respect everyone pls.

Read more

I have the same issue.. but think again, we should be grateful to have MIL that is willing to take care of the baby and she really cares for your baby compared to infant care. A lot of negligence cases from day care centre really scares me. Just try to communicate with her again. Another reminder I always use to MYSELF as this is ugly truth my own mother told me: if you are capable, just quit the job and stay at home to take care of your baby! If not, just bear with it. 😅 really ugly truth

Read more

My take on this is to send to infant care n bring the child over to c in laws on weekends.. Yes there r subsidies n u'll pay est 600 a mth.. I use this as a platform to tell my husb n family that the child goes there so he learn to make friends n not be selfish n learn to share.. If he stay at in laws place, he will constantly b watching TV which is not good... Yes kids fall sick more but tht will build their immune system stronger so by at least 1Y, they won't b so ofthen sick..

Read more

Sometimes its hard to decide~ My In-Law herself is not a hands-on mother herself, so her logic also funny one. My mom is very hands-on but pantang loh~ Now what era liao? Both annoyed me from time to time but i’m currently staying with in-law. So also must see situation, also will ask husband pass the message across. For example MIL keeps feeding my child sweet fruits after dinner hour, they get sugar high and they dont understand one lei

Read more
4y ago

how do find out that ur child has sugar high? Just curious :)