MIL “taking care” of the newborn

Does anyone has your MIL “taking care” of the baby in the sense of jus carrying the baby whenever the baby cries or when she is bored and wants to play with the baby? She says she dunno how to feed or change diapers etc. The baby just cries for 5 secs and when I’m still trying to find out why the baby cry or trying to coax the baby, she just comes in and says let her carry. What can I do? My baby is jus 2 weeks old and of course I’m trying to learn while the confinement nanny has been taking care of the baby now.. But I feel my MIL is carrying the baby too much.. Baby sleeping peacefully in cot then no need to carry so much? And she is not really helping to take care of the baby.

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Speak to your husband. Let him do the talking. Both of you must be on the same page. This reduces the tension between you and you mil. Alternatively, you can also ask the confinement nanny how to discern the cries of the baby, and indirectly both u and your mil learn together how to handle. Then once in a while when mil is in a better mood, can seek her help with the diapers or help with feeding.

Read more

Be firm and tell her to let you handle so you can learn as much as you can from CN. Tell her NO and or just stay in the room and lock the door. Sure she can complain to your husband, but in the long run, your sanity is more important. Make this a habit, next time when she decided not to ‘take care’ of your nb, your life will be very miserable.

Read more