Deciding between Braun ear thermometer and forehead thermometer. Which one do you recommend and why?

Post image
31 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I have not tried using the forehead thermometer but it seems like a better choice than the one for the ear. I tried using the ear thermometer on a sick and cranky child once and well, it was one of the most harrowing experience. He fussed and struggled the entire time. Only managed to use it when he fell asleep. I feel that I can use the forehead thermometer easily whether or not baby is asleep or awake.

Read more

I would not suggest the forehead thermometer, we had one and I went into a great panic as our twins temp was 39, we made and appointments with the Pediatrician and loads of cash later there was nothing wrong with our boys the thermometer measured 2 degresles higher than actual temp. We now have one that goes under the arm it takes longer but very accurate.

Read more

You should get both. Ear thermometer is more accurate, so I will use the ear thermometer whenever possible. However, there are times when you need to test your child's temperature when he/she is sleeping. Using the ear thermometer might wake the child up, so the forehead thermometer will be useful in this scenario.

Read more
7y ago

I am also not sure how frequent should we change the ear piece for ear thermometer. Would that contribute to inaccuracy of the thermometer?

Ear thermometer is much more accurate. My niece was running a fever & the pediatrician used a forehead thermometer to measure her temperature which turns out normal. Luckily my sis had a ear thermometer for her & measured her temperature on the spot which confirmed that she was having a fever.

Personally prefer ear thermometer more accurate I feel because forehead temp can be higher or lower than the actual due to the surroundings. But it is useful for wriggly babies. I bought both types and I can only say the forehead one is sitting somewhere collecting dust...

i ever considered buying the forehead infra thermometer but according to my nurse friend that it is the least efficient thermometer, i change it to arm thermometer as per her recommendation as it is more accurate than the ear and infra thermometer.

7y ago

Hows an arm thermometer look like?

Definitely the ear thermometer as it's more accurate plus it is widely used by pediatrician clinic and hospital...... U will never go wrong if u use the same products as these professional.

I wouldn't consider forehead temperature reading. it's not so accurate thou. hmm. get the typical ear thermometer. it's accurate enough and can last through the years...

I'm currently using Braun ear thermometer , most accurate of all . Just that the price is expensive , to me . Forehead thermometer is not accurate at all .

I like Braun Ear as it is more accurate. but for newborn is better to use the traditional one that put under their underarm