Am I a bad mom for not BF my daughter long enough

My daughter was given formula by the hospital ever since she was born due to the lack of sugar level. Hence, they had to mix my milk with formula. I stayed in the hospital for 4 days 3 nights, and I hated every time the nurse come in the room, telling me to pump or latch my child. I got so frustrated because my daughter doesn’t know how to latch and she will start crying as she can’t latch well. It was more pressuring when the nurse is there ensuring that I latch my girl, but I felt so stressed whenever I try to do it. It really affected my mental well being that I never latch her at all after I got discharged from the hospital. I only pump and eventually stopped at around 3 months. Thereafter, she’s fully formula fed (my lo is 6 mth now. I feel lousy about it 😔

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I was unable to breast feed my child due to 2nd degree tear... nurses at kkh was very good and they told me that they will help to formula fed the baby. The next day the nurse brought a pumping machine and i tried but was unsuccessful ...again they told me its ok not to worry n formula fed the baby. For some of us the milk only comes in later. Im thankful that the nurses was very encouraging for us to breast fed the baby, in the event that we couldnt formula was given. My daughter is 4 yrs old very healthy n rarely falls sick

Read more

I also felt stress whenever the nurse comes in.. i m not used to handling babies n my baby was only 2.5! And my ger also not gd at latching n my right nipple was latched until it was black! I kena frm lactation nurse (n she was fierce). My ger is now 2mth plus on mixed feed because im struggling wif bm. I believe u hv alr done ur best.. we always hv the guilt in us n tinking we r not doing the best..

Read more

i feel like you’re doing your best for her already. and fed is best, doesn’t matter BF or formula. don’t beat yourself up over this mummy :)

Don't be too hard on yourself mum. You are doing the best you can for your baby