first time parenting mistake!

Becoming a parent for the first time was both exhilarating and terrifying. From the moment I held my precious bundle of joy in my arms, I knew that this journey would be filled with ups and downs, laughter and tears, and countless lessons along the way. Like many new parents, I made my fair share of mistakes—some small, some not-so-small—but each one taught me valuable lessons about love, patience, and the art of parenthood. One of my earliest mistakes was underestimating the power of sleep deprivation. In those sleepless nights filled with endless feedings and soothing cries, I found myself teetering on the edge of exhaustion. I thought I could power through on sheer willpower alone, but soon realized that self-care isn't just a luxury—it's a necessity. Another mistake I made was trying to do it all on my own. As a fiercely independent person, I thought I could handle everything that parenthood threw my way without asking for help. But as the days turned into weeks and the weeks into months, I found myself overwhelmed and burnt out. It was only when I reached out to my support network—family, friends, and other parents—that I discovered the power of community and the importance of leaning on others in times of need. But perhaps the biggest mistake I made was doubting myself. In those moments of uncertainty and self-doubt, I questioned whether I was doing enough, whether I was a good enough parent for my child. But with time, I learned to trust my instincts and embrace the unique journey of parenthood that was unfolding before me. Has anyone experienced the same thing?

3 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

If you've got friends and family around, don't hesitate to ask for their support. I moved to Singapore with my husband two years ago, and being more of an introvert who enjoys staying at home, I've only really bonded with one close friend here. Although I'm not very close with my family back home, at least they're just a 1-hour distance away if I need some time for myself or help with chores. Plus, I have plenty of friends who would drop by for a visit. As for my in-laws, they're not the type to offer much help, but I'm trying to stay positive by looking at how my friends in similar situations in other countries have managed without family or close friends nearby. I’m expecting now. Praying hard that we will survive the parenthood!

Read more

You’re doing 👍🏻 Keep it up! And I must agree. Sleep deprivation is REAL!

TapFluencer

🥰