Is the baby trying to learn more about his or her environment and is fussier and sleeping lesser during the leap?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Yes, I think it is largely due to the fact that they are learning new information and developing mentally which causes them to be fussier. It is a complicated process where they begin to comprehend a new "idea" (in a way, e.g., learning about patterns). To understand more about what babies begin to understand at each leap, you can refer to this brief summary: http://www.babysleepsite.com/baby-sleep-patterns/wonder-weeks-chart-baby-toddler-sleep/ Will give you an idea what the baby may be going through and allow you to help comfort your baby better. :)

Read more
8y ago

Jacq, really thanks!!! I'm able to steal some sleep when my baby sleeps. So still manageable :)

Yes, in the first phase of a leap, the fussy phase, all babies are more Clingy, Cranky and cry more. The sleeping pattern and eating pattern are disturbed. In the second and third phase of a leap, the baby is starting to explore the new perceptual world (s)he has entered and, in doing so, starting to master new skills.

Read more