Baby drinks milk halfway and reject

My baby is at that phase whereby he sometimes can finish his milk, sometimes will drink halfway and reject. He rejects playfully like smilling, spitting out milk, playing with his tongue, and mostly wants to “talk”. He’s 10 weeks, drinking 90-120ml 2-3 hrs. We have tried burping him etc then let him drink the remaining bt still reject playfully. And yes before we gave him milk he will cry and show hunger cue, like really hungry. Because of drinking only halfway, he tend to get hungry by the next hour or hour and a half. For this case, do i make a new milk, remaining ml, like 60ml, or do i feel the normal intake (90-120ml)? #firsttimemom

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Better to make that usual half that your baby drinks at first then make another same amount of milk bottle if he shoes hungry cues. Reason being, save money plus the milk you make first time round cannot keep for too long for him to finish. The nutrients degrade plus bacteria alr mix with milk from his saliva. Keep a look out for his hands. Closed fist means hunger. Open means, he isn’t hungry and feels relaxed. If you see him “rooting”, he may be hungry as well. If you think you not sure he want to play2 then you put your clean finger near his mouth and see if he auto turn his head/mouth to suck on it and if he fusses means he hungry because finger got no milk. So make milk. Remember, make half first. If no fuss then he just wanna cuddle. Hope this helps! Every baby is different so you learn something abt your baby everyday. ☺️ All the best!

Read more

Could it be that the milk has become less warm and he does not like it? Maybe try changing his diaper, or talking to him for a bit, let him "forget" that he has drunk milk already, then try again? My baby also having this problem recently. He is 11 weeks now and used to drink 140ml every 3-4 hours but sometimes he drinks less, like just 80ml. If he only drinks 80ml, the remaining 60ml I will feed about an hour or 1.5hours later if he did not fuss. In the mean time i will change his diaper, talk or play with him, and try feeding until he finishes. Max would be 2 hours tho. After that, I will wait until he fusses. If he is hungry and fusses before the 2 hours however, I will feed full feed.

Read more