At 6 Months old, my baby is still vomiting milk after every feed. He is a fully breastfed baby. What is happening?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Spitting up is common in healthy babies. Normal spitting up doesn't interfere with a baby's well-being. As long as your baby seems comfortable and is eating well and gaining weight, then there is little cause for concern. Most babies stop spitting up by 12 months of age. To reduce spitting up, consider these tips: - Feed baby in a more upright position, head higher than knee - Avoid immediate active play or use of jumperoo - Avoid overfeeding - Take time to burp baby - Put baby to sleep on his back, reduce use of pillows - Experiment with your own diet. If you are breastfeeding, doctor may suggest that you eliminate dairy products or certain other food from your diet. Bring baby to see a paediatrician if baby: - Isn't gaining weight - Spits up forcefully - Spits up green or yellow fluid - Spits up blood or material that looks like coffee grounds - Refuses feedings repeatedly - Have blood in stool - Difficulty in breathing - Begins spitting up at 6 months or older. My son was admitted to the hospital when he is around 3 months due to the frequent spitting up. They have checked to ensure that there is no blockage in his body and was on drip all the time. After he was discharge, he is still spitting up but not as much as it will be a concern to go back to the hospital again.

Read more
VIP Member

Experienced the same thing with my baby. I can even remember we rushed her to the hospital because she went purple after she spit a lot even through her nose. Thank God nothing happened to her! After this terrible experience, I rechecked myself what could have been the wrong thing I did that caused it - realise that 1 major thing is not letting her burp after feeding, not EVERYTIME. Sometimes I put her down immediately after the sesh. Which is a big no no. Or maybe did burp her but did not take enough time. Now she's 15mons, no more spitting happening but I still let her burp by gently patting at her back. I think mum above made good explanation on what's going on already. So this jts from someone who experienced it too and now less worried after knowing the how's and why's. :)

Read more

Mine did that too till he was about 8-9 months. I thought it might be reflux and tried to feed him more often, keep him upright after a feed, burp him properly etc but it continued. The Paed told me I had nothing to worry so I just made sure he wore a bib the whole time. Thankfully it went away on its own when he turned 10 months old.

Read more

thanks