Are there any natural mosquito repellents that one can make at home for the kids? I don't like the patches.

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Lemongrass indeed! It's economical and very easy to find. Aside from that, you can also use cinnamon oil. There have been studies that notes cinnamon oil can also rid of mosquito eggs! However, do not apply it directly onto skin as it might cause irritation. Instead, use it as aromatherapy at home. I also find this amazing idea on pinterest which you can easily make at home. And it is also pretty! You can make this as decor if you have an outside party. Just always always be cautious to keep these out of reach of kids. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/455567318537081953/

Read more
Post reply image

The best solution that has worked for me is having a mosquito net. I do not have to worry about any chemical stuff touching the kid. If you need something that has to be applied, have you tried Lemon Eucalyptus mosquito repellent. I have not tried myself personally, but after researching on multiple websites, this solution appears on all of them. Mix (1 part) Lemon Eucalyptus oil with sunflower oil (10 parts) and rub/spray on the skin. Hope this helps!!

Read more

I have heard from friends that soya bean based products (soya bean oil) are effective and are longer lasting. You can make it better by adding a little lemongrass oil also. But along with this do take necessary precautions like:- 1) Cover up with lighter colour clother. Wear long sleeve shirt, socks, full pants. 2) Remove standing water 3) Put on fans 4) Avoid going out during dusk and dawn Stay protected!

Read more

The latest doing the rounds in Whatsapp messages nowadays is the use of lemons and cloves as mosquito repellents. Both cloves and lemons are known to have insect repelling properties, particularly against mosquitoes and flies. - You need one lemon for this and 20 to 30 cloves. - Cut the lemon into two halves and insert 10 to 15 cloves in each of the halves. - Place them in any corner of a room.

Read more
Post reply image

I learnt this trick from taxi-driver uncles. They always have pandan leaves in the car boots and apparently it is used to repel cockroaches. They told me it works for pretty much any insect so what I did was to blend the pandan leaves with some water and spritz this pandan juice in the rooms or even the clothes. It leaves a nice scent and keeps the insects at bay.

Read more
VIP Member

Lemongrass works for me. It is very affordable and easy to make. Just crushed them and put on your kid's room. Or you can buy lemongrass esential oil for room aromatheraphy. Beside lemongrass, i found several combination for natural mosquito repellants using esential oil. Hope it works for you.

Post reply image

I tried the "Lavender Vanilla Mosquito Repellent" which is made from: lavender oil (15-20 drops), vanilla extract (4-5 tbsp), lemon juice (30 ml) and distilled water (500 ml). Mix them thoroughly and then use as a spray on your skin or clothing.

VIP Member

I’m using Alobaby! 100% natural and deet free ◡̈ They have the 2-in-1 sunscreen and mosquito repellent, and also just the repellent itself. All their items on 50% off now. https://welovesupermom.com/products?search=alobaby

Yes. I mix citronella with geranium and sometimes a few drops of lavender mixed with water. it works for me.

thanks