Allergy to threadfin

Anyone of your LO here has allergy to fish? Do u stop giving once rashes formed? Coz I saw some articles where it mentioned keep introducing so that they will outgrown them soonest. My boy had rashes this morning after he ate threadfin porriage for dinner.. (Asking on behalf of cousin)

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

It depends on the severity of the allergic reaction. And sometimes the 2nd time baby gets given the same food, the reaction can be more severe, because they’ve already built up some antibodies from the first exposure. So if you’re cousin’s not entirely sure how to reintroduce the food, perhaps consulting a PD first would be wise? For reintroduction, it needs to be given in a really small amount without other new ingredients, watch for reactions, and then gradually build up over days to weeks. And the child does run the risk of anaphylaxis, which can be dangerous.. so seeking professional advice would be good before trying again.

Read more
VIP Member

Yes, fish is one of the common food allergens but are you certain that it is the fish which causes the rashes? Are there any other new food or ingredients in the porridge which was introduced to him? For new food, it’s usually to try for 3 days and monitor for any allergic reactions. You can stop giving fish for 2 weeks and then resume again to see if it’s really the fish. You may want to ask your cousin to go to a PD to do a skin prick test to find out the exact allergens.

Read more

Hi, I am the cousin, yes my son was given the same food for few months and I just introduce fish to see if he has outgrown fish allergy coz he response to it when he is 8mths old, now that he is 16mrh, I reintroduce and see if there is any reaction but again rashes formed, just wondering when will he outgrow fish allergy, prick test show he has no allergy to fish, but some did mention prick test is not accurate, its through introduction test that is of more accuracy.

Read more
Super Mum

The skin prick test to test for allergies will be expensive. My daughter did this at glen eagles

Super Mum

About allergic reaction. Please watch out if LO has breathlessness when react to certain food.

TapFluencer

Very rare to have allergy to fish. Is it plain fish porridge or added something else too?

Hey, I think best to check with your PD on what is the source of the allergy

VIP Member

Could be other reasons and not the fish Best to consult a pediatrician

Super Mum

What else was added in the fish porridge?

Super Mum

Could it be MSG related in the food ?