Gestational Diabetes at 26 weeks

Anyone had gestational diabetes after going through the glucose test? I had a marginal one and will be seeing the dietician tomorrow. How’s ur diet like?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Mine was horrible and discovered at wk 20. Immediately got referred to Endocrine and she was surprised my gynae picked up so early. Anyway for the first mth i was pricking myself at least 6 times daily. And that one mth was more like trying out diff food n looking at the fluctuation. When i went back for follow up my mthly avg was lower also. So she said i could lessen the times i take my sugar and sometimes can skip. But i still continue to take my after meals... except breakfast i will take the reading before eating I skipped rice (felt theres no need) and mostly eat yong tau foo or those cai png sides only. Have blueberries in between for snacks... 😂

Read more

I also had a marginal one (touched the borderline at 1 hr test but passed fasting and 2 hr test) but the hospital was very strict: they still say to treat it as diabetes with diet control. My diet itself didn’t change much except to cut out Milo and cut down pastries and kuih and watch portion sizes. Now haveto take smaller portions of food at specific times to avoid a lot of spiking. actually seeing the dietitian helped me be more aware of my calcium intake and portion sizes. I was very sad at the start but turns out it is fairly common. All the best !!

Read more
3y ago

Hi. How well did you pass the fasting and 2 hour? Also, how bad was the 1 hour test?

Replaced white rice with brown rice except when I don’t have a choice eg eating outside, replace white bread with wholemeal or multigrain bread with cheese and unsweetened peanut butter, no grapes, durian and avocado, cut down choco pregnancy milk, of course no sugar drinks, I’ll take lime juice to curb cravings. Snack healthily with nuts, if not possible, watch the serving of your snacks. It’s tough, but for the sake of baby, it’s worth it! Hang in there!

Read more

My two cents: Marginal too for me and i did not see any dietician or went for any of the classes they recommend. Ignored their calls too. Paying so much already for gynae so I do not believe in paying extra for classes and buying equipments to prick myself and check everyday - and best of all my gynae did not even asked about it in the next checkup since baby is growing fine.

Read more
3y ago

I am currently 35 weeks now! Last week i checked baby's weight was at 34 weeks with a pvt neighbourhood women's clinic, baby was 2.2kg at the appropriate progression despite me being naughty sometimes drinking sweet drinks haha

VIP Member

For me a big change, not only cutting dwn sugars but also limiting carbohydrates. N no more drinking stuffs like my fav milo at all

3y ago

Nope.. i suppose thr r 2 ways to see this, either baby cn be overweight, or bby cn be underweight, mine cos of the GD my baby was quite small at first n i alr did my best to watch my diet.. at the last wks i pumped up n increase my protein.. baby 1 was 2.4kg, bby no.2 was 2.9kg, bby no.3 was 3.1kg..